need some more morso advice

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
thecyke

need some more morso advice

Post by thecyke »

Lo all,

I'm still on my quest to learn about the renowned Morso Guillotine before splashing the cash and have a few quick q's

1. How neat is the cut? Is it very smooth and 100% ready for immediate use or does the cut need some finishing such as a little sanding or smoothing?

2. How easy is it to get lengths cut *exactly* the same? If i need to do 100 cuts how sure can i be they'll all be within a hairs length of each other?

3. Forgive my inexperience, but what is the difference between the expensive morso and something like an inexpensive Axminster Mitre Trimmer
(http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... -22768.htm)

as always, thanks for any info! :D
Keadyart
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Art,Photography,Horse racing,my Irish terrier Tara

Post by Keadyart »

If you are serious about framing then thw morso is the machine for you -
1,perfect cuts with no sanding(if blades are kept sharp).
2,cuts lengths exactly the same length whether it be 2.4.100 or 1000.
3,I cannot comment on the item you mention-but I can say,with a morso you get a vitually indestructible,reliable piece of kit,which with little maintainance will deliver what you want all the time and will probably outlive you(not knowing your age or state of health).sorry.
And if you choose can be sold on again after paying for itself many times over.
All the best
Brian
markw

Post by markw »

thecyke - advice: visit one of the nice framers from NI who participate on this forum - they will show you what a Morso does..

The very best advice would be to go on a training course as you really do need to cover some very basic aspects of this business before you launch yourself on an unsuspecting public.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

The Axminster trimmer will only shave small bits (1 mm max) from the end of an already cut mitre. It's useful if you use a saw and need to reduce a length slightly. It's not really any good for cutting mitres -- as it says, it's for trimming.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
thecyke

Post by thecyke »

markw wrote:thecyke - advice: visit one of the nice framers from NI who participate on this forum - they will show you what a Morso does..

The very best advice would be to go on a training course as you really do need to cover some very basic aspects of this business before you launch yourself on an unsuspecting public.
Agreed! Does anyone know of any course in NI, I've browsed the web with no joy.
Keadyart
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Art,Photography,Horse racing,my Irish terrier Tara

Post by Keadyart »

Here are some details for you,have a look on their website - http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk/ Down School
Of Picture Framing

6 Church Street, Dromore, Co. Down, BT25 1AA
Tele/Fax: (028) 9269 3807
Mobile: 077333 60322

all the best
brian
georgeh

Post by georgeh »

the cyke

I can highly recommend down school of picture framing - see my post in announcements.

good luck

george hannah
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Hi thecyke,

As the saying goes, time is money, and in addition to the consistency and accuracy of the Morso, it also delivers in terms of its speed and ease of use, compared to some of the other methods that you are looking at.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
beth

Post by beth »

Morso cuts very neat,
Very exact
Cant comment about other machines as never have used one

Wont be without my machine, if you buy one make sure the buyer explains how to change blades and general maintaince

Good luuck :)
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Re Morso Advice

Post by SquareFrames »

In reply to 'thecyke'

I agree with all the other replies, the Morso (for me) gives excellent results all the time, everytime. The cut is neat, tidy and perfect everytime, but like every other type of machine to achieve expected results, one must look after the machine and change the blades regularly and most importantly of all, fit the blades properly. I would definately recommend a Morso, and if going down he 2nd hand route, price should not really mater, what matters is the following:

FIRSTLY look at the rear of the machine and the back springs if the springs are red / rusty / dry..WALK AWAY no matter how much it is....it simply hasnt been looked after and will be more trouble than its worth

SECONDLY, if the machine shows signs of a tilt or list, walk away, its twisted and has been badly stored,

THIRDLY, if the machine shows signs of age, such as bare metal on the front, foot pedal, etc.....dont worry, try the pedal, and if there is a smooth action, the blades arent sticking...make an offer, and geting your 100 accurate cuts is then not a problem.

The Morso is like us humans, we need regularly fed and watered, in the Morso's case, its needs fed and watered with either 3-1 oil, 3-1 lubricant spray, WD40 or the like, at least once / twice a week, and every moving part must be lubricated. The blades need changing approx. every 8 weeks or as often as they require, sometimes a newly replaced set could last 8 weeks, 8 days or 8 hours, depending on what is being cut, and depending on how abusive the operator is or has been to the machine.
During the course of our training school, we have tried deliberately to destroy a set of blades, it goes either way, (a) very difficult, as the genuine Morso blades are made of excllent quality (b) something as simple as a knot hidden in the moulding can chip a blade.....
One more thing about blades, have at least 2 sets, 3 is better, i.e. 1 set in the machine, 1 set ready to go and one set getting sharpened, but 2 should suffice for a time while starting up. If you need any help whatsoever please ring 07834 787487, the last mobile Keadyart suggested is out of date,

Before I close for the night,I would like to thank Keadyart and georgeh for reccomendation of the training school....hope your are both well and hope to talk soon. Many thanks John for your email, much appreciated!!!!!

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
osgood

Re: Re Morso Advice

Post by osgood »

SquareFrames wrote: SECONDLY, if the machine shows signs of a tilt or list, walk away, its twisted and has been badly stored,
???
What are these Morso machines made from?

I have a different brand and I just can't imagine it getting 'tilted or twisted'? It would take some hundreds of tons of forces to do that!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

With regard to spare Morso blades, if you want to have a "desperation" spare set, Sisslings in Dublin used to offer "recon" Morso spare blade sets at a fraction of the cost of a new set (not sure what guarantees, if any, they offer with them). Might be worth checking them out. Telephone number is:+353 (0)1 295 4131.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Re: Re Morso Advice

Post by kev@frames »

osgood wrote: ???
What are these Morso machines made from?

I have a different brand and I just can't imagine it getting 'tilted or twisted'? It would take some hundreds of tons of forces to do that!

there was one doing the rounds a few years in the westcountry which had literally fallen off the back of a van on the A30 - that was a bender!i guess a serious fire might not help one, but I wouldn't like to cross the bloke who could bend a morso!
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

Springs (at the back) do break in time because fatigue even if looked after. But although it is a schlep changing them it is not a major job (changed mine 4 times in the past 15 yrs) They just happen to break when the foot pedal is depressed and it goes off with a hell of a bang.
Alan
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

fineedge wrote:Springs (at the back) do break in time because fatigue even if looked after. But although it is a schlep changing them it is not a major job (changed mine 4 times in the past 15 yrs) They just happen to break when the foot pedal is depressed and it goes off with a hell of a bang.

thats odd, our morso is 16 years old and on its first set of springs.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

My set of springs are on their third Morso.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Morso safety issues. :?

Keep fingers away from the blades. :shock: It may seem obvious, but I don't think this can be stressed too often. I have only cut myself once. That was the day the machine was delivered and I was cleaning the grease off. Sliced right though my fingernail. 'Nuff said. :wink:

Another less catastrophic thing that can happen is when you are have set the pedal stop for max travel. It is easy to let your foot slip off the pedal at the bottom which results in a nasty wack on the shin. :o
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

Tried to figure out why my springs break ! Maybe being in Africa I buy legit parts which are'nt legit. Stupid excercise but if the pedal is depressed say 5 or 6 times for an average width moulding - thats around 30 for the frame X 10 frames per day X 6 days per week x about 49 or 50 weeks that results in over 80000 times those springs are stretched in a year. Might be a reason to fail - I don't know I only work here. :?: :?
Alan
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Re: Morso Advice

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi,

I have seen two bent out of shape Morso machines, the first one (looking from the front) had its right hand side lifting up at the front, goodness knows how that was done, its like standing with your feet together and lifting your toes o your left foot, it just wasnt level and couldnt be levelled........, the second one, once the right hand extension was bolted on, no matter what we did, it would not level out, was not level enough to slide mouldings along, and again no idea how that was achieved. The extension arm seemed to be twisted as if someone had grabbed it and give it a Chinese burn..........But both were eventually scavanged for other spares....

As for the springs, I have seen them being changed but thats it, never had to change a set of my own, and I do know of one machine (still in use) that was purchasd in 1963-64 with a free spare set of springs, and its only changed its springs once (the spare set)

The best one I have ever seen, was a 'red' Morso, built i the early 50's looks like a Singer sowing machine and guess what? Still works as good as the day it was first new......

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre