Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
SH1965
Organisation: N/A
Interests: Art, Music

Looking for reliable Mount Cutter advice

Post by SH1965 »

Hi, I am a keen amateur artist whom, down to budget constraints, now requires to make my own picture mounts. Luckily my husband whom has a keen interest in carpentry currently makes some of my picture frames.
I am currently struggling with a basic Jakar mount cutter and achieving mixed results, plus its rather time consming. Hence, I am now looking out for a better system. As mentioned above, I am on a budget spend. So far I have looked (on line) at the following makes/models.

Various Logan models - but have read mixed reviews. The Logan 450-1 looks the most suitable device for my requirements.
Longridge - Duo system midi - which I have seen second hand for sale.
Keencut - looks great but is out of my price range brand new and second hand around £400 which is out of my price range.
Frame Co Matt Master.... Haven't read much on these so not too sure.

Any suggestions, advice or comments regarding the following would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Looking for reliable Mount Cutter advice

Post by StevenG »

Personally, if you're intending to sell your work or have a number of mounts to cut I'd beg, borrow & steal (preferably not) the funds to opt for a Keencut, trust me in time to come you'll agree. These things don't cost that little extra premium without good reason :)

Whist the Logan will be an upgrade of sorts it still won't be anything like a good 2nd hand Keencut. (I've used both btw)

All the best
Steven
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Logan is an amateur thing. Don't bother. It's rubbish. Get a second-hand Keencut Gold or Ultimat. If you hang around on eBay you'll get one for £350.

Alternatively, if your pictures are all the same size(s) and your mounts all the same colour, then just buy in the mounts from somebody with a computerised cutter.
SH1965

Post by SH1965 »

Thank you, James and Featurepiece,
It is a difficult one. I would love to be in a position to buy a Keencut, but alas, not financially in a position to do so at the moment.

A Logan would definitely be a step up from what I am currently using. I already sell my art work in local shows and until now have always used a local framer to cut mounts. However, with increasing costs its becoming necessary to be able to make my own.

I was advised a basic longridge may work ok for me, and I have seen a second hand Duo midi system for around £40. Very tempted but can't decide.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Do you standard sizes or a mix, if you can stick to standard sizes you can buy mounts online at pretty decent prices while you save up for the Keencut. Ive owned two now and they are superb bits of kit.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Keencut for the win, you can pick up Ultimat Gold models for £300, keep an eye out, as more and more framers go to the wall second hand equipment is getting cheaper, unfortunately it is part down to artists deciding to cut out the framer, what will eventually happen is the materials will go up in price as suppliers will be shipping smaller quantities to more clients.
Many local framers are not set up for supplying resellers, you may find one that can supply you as cheaply as you could do it yourself, but with far better results.
This can save you money as you will be putting your time to making and selling art, not the mundane task of cutting mount's.
SH1965

Post by SH1965 »

I used to get my mounts cut by a local framer, but sadly his costs are rising to the degree its just not economically viable for me to keep having them professionally made, add to this the rising comission on sale prices .....I now need to look at my costs, otherwise its just not worth the work involved to sell my art work. Hence, now looking into making my own mounts.

I realise the Keencut is the cutter of choice. After surfing Ebay and other sites they are few and far between second hand and even those prices are beyond my maximum budget of approx £200. I am going to take a look at a Logan 450-1 tomorrow and have asked to look at it out the box before I purchase.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Granted, it is a fair chunk of cash to lay out but I would heed the advice already given.
Keep your eyes open for a bargain pro standard cutter. Hobby stuff is money down the drain.

Your mounts will look 'professional'. No overcuts or chewed-up bevels. :D

Remember that mountboard costs the same whether you produce good mounts or iffy mounts.

Also, pro kit tends to keep it's value. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

When I started out framing as a hobby, my first purchase was an Alto 45 mount cutter.. I think I paid £60 for the cutter 25 years ago and then about 5 years later, I found the cutting system to match it for another £40-50 on fleabay... I still have this cutter now and still occasionally use it purely because I found it easy to use if maybe a little time consuming... but results were always pretty good for an armature. I now have a Gunnar F1 XL as time is paramount now I have a studio and running a business. From time over the years, one would pop up on eBay and I would snap them up.. I now own 3 Alto 45 mount cutters (maybe I am a bit of a hoarder). Now I know the pros amongst us will say it will never beat a Keen cut... and I agree, but I did use my Alto 45 during my GCF exam 2 years ago over the available Keen cut and my assessor was very happy with the quality and accuracy of cut I achieved with a relatively budget mount cutter (the Master of the Guild may want to jump in at this point :-) ) anywho..... what I am getting at is this... don't rule out the Alto if you are on a budget... and there is always the thought that I really don't need 3 now so I would be willing to sell 1 on if required (I have only managed to source blades from USA though but have a plentiful supply that I could include to get you going
Kenney
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Pm sent
SH1965

Post by SH1965 »

Thank you for the replies and the pm. I am definitely taking on board all comments made here and will mull things over.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Buying a logan is not the way to go. It is an amateur piece of equipment and the results will reflect that. Contact a few framing suppliers and equipment suppliers and tell them that you are looking for a professional quality secondhand mountcutter and your budget. Someone will come up with something decent for that sort of money.

Earlier keencuts are still around, but don't buy a keencut lazer. Other possibilities and CH Bainbridge, Keaton, Magnolia, if they are in good condition, without play in the bearings. An older professional quality that has not been run into the ground, won't cost too much and will probably last an artist cutting their own mounts for years.

Before you go to see any particular mountcutter, ask about it again on this forum. The are people on this forum who have used just about every make of mountcutter you can think of who can tell you what problems to look for before you go to see it and check it out.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
SH1965

Post by SH1965 »

Thank you, problem with buying from Ebay being I am not able to check the quality before purchase. I have put out some feelers on some local Facebook selling groups..... Fingers crossed
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

prospero wrote: Remember that mountboard costs the same whether you produce good mounts or iffy mounts.
Costs the same :?: Depends where you buy it.
Framers buy big sheets from the wholesalers. Artists ( if they need a few sheets) will most probably buy from their local art shop.
And that will likely be Imperial or A1 size, and usually a cream core board. At a price way above what a framer pays.

So is the OP going to save anything? And she will get most likely get a cream core ( that turns brown) , instead of a decent quality.
This thread begs the question what does the bought in mount cost as a % of the final selling price of her paintings.
Could SH1965 tell us?
And tell us your name please - we are a friendly bunch on here :D
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hate to be picky Keith. :roll: Well that's not exactly true. I like being picky. :lol:

Whatever price you pay for mountboard and whatever quality, you are more likely
to get better and more consistent results using a good mountcutter than a not-so-good one.

It could be argued that if you buy cheapo stuff then you can afford to knacker more of it. :?

If you get my drift. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I used a logan for about 3 yes before up grading to a keen cut. Sold the keen cut but I still have the logan somewhere it's about 15 yes old but I am sure someone could make use of it.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

SH1965 wrote:Hi, I am a keen amateur artist whom, down to budget constraints, now requires to make my own picture mounts...
If you are only cutting one or two simple single mounts a week, than any of the hobbyist manual mat cutters mentioned thus far would probably work just fine. Do keep in mind that typically, the less expensive the equipment, than more of the burden of accuracy and quality results falls on the skills of the operator!

When you reach the point of cutting a dozen or so mounts every week, then you really need to consider upgrading to a professional model, table top mat cutter. Keep in mind, that a few folks have mentioned older models/makes... typically you are witnessing the love of a relationship they have with their choice.

Honestly the "best" brand is somewhat subjective, so without offending anyone, there are really only four major brands and current models today.... that deserve the attention of anyone looking to purchase a professional level table top mat cutter with stops: The Fletcher-Terry F-2200 (US), the Keencut Ultimat Futura(UK), the Valiani Astra(IT) and the Logan Platinum Edge 850(US). The first three, if not all four are available through UK stockists.

They all are in the same league today. They all use bushings/bearings - they all use aluminum bases... Each has some little feature that is slightly different, and all will perform more than adequately in competent hands. If you step down to an older model, a used model a lesser model, than the comparison is a little skewed.

One of the rules that is as true today as it was ten years ago or 30 years ago. And that is to to buy the best piece of equipment that you can afford.

Sincerely,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
SH1965

Post by SH1965 »

Thank you for your very helpful comments, John Ranes and Graysalchemy.
Kevindaniel
Organisation: Sligo picture framing
Interests: Football. Table tennis.draughts.

Post by Kevindaniel »

I started with a manual Keencut before updating to a valiani a few years ago, however a few times when the electric power was off I took it out of wraps and I was glad that I did not sell it. I do unwrap. It now and then and cut a few mounts. It is so accurate and reliable.
You say that you sell artwork, perhaps you are not charging enough for your work. It should not take you long to raise 400 quid. A Keencut or similar is money well spent.
SH1965

Post by SH1965 »

Message to Chris2103 and John Ranes. I have pm you both but for some unexplained reason the messages are stuck in my 'out' box, I can't work out how to re-send.