Filler Tip

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Roboframer

Re: Filler Tip

Post by Roboframer »

You're the only one getting personal, sundance!
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

Robbo.Iv`e got great respect for you, your framing hints,tips, and help given, but you must admit that there are one or two contributors on this forum who have a "holier than thou" attitude...
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Like Glimpse you mean?

Social skills?
Glimpse wrote: "some smart arse" ....... "what a prick" ......
233ART
Organisation: ART233, GALLERY/FRAME SHOP
Interests: COLLECTING & RESTORING OLD TOYS...

Post by 233ART »

:lol: I think you know who I mean...
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Not getting personal at all Robo, just pointing out how things would be perceived in a hypothetical social situation as there are certain posters who clearly don't take the time to consider how they come across, and how their attitude probably dissuades others from posting and sharing their knowledge, tips and tricks.

Us framers need to be pretty adept at problem solving, and I would imagine there's a wealth of these little 'cheats' out there that help you salvage a less-than-perfect length of moulding and in turn, make more profit.

If you have a bunch of know-it-alls whose sole raison d'etre seems to be to prove how much more skilled or professional than everyone else they are, people won't risk sharing information for fear that they'll be made to look less competent.

I know I for one won't bother wasting my time again!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I don't see it the same, only one person here has broken rules one and two above, anyone else is talking about methods, materials and equipment, not the person/people using them, however they choose to part with the advice/opinion.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I certainly am not trying to make you out any less competent or professional. All I did was look at you ' problem' with a different perspective and tell you what I would do in that situation. Now if you don't see it from that perspective then I have no problem with that, your business is yours and how you wish to conduct yourself in it is entirely up to you.

All I said was that would not be acceptable in my business. Many in the things I do in my business I know would not be acceptable in other people's workshops but I accept that as framing is a broad church.

Now if you think I am a prick then at least have a pair and say it to my face and not hide behindbehind a hypothetical situation.

Enjoy your pint in the Open Corner.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:Personally I work on prevention being better than cure but of course sometimes a bit of filling is needed.
"Spot on" Roboframer. When you consider how much people are willing to pay for decent oak frames and how cheap decent oak moulding is in comparison to what people will pay for the finished frame. Why are you wanting to do this? Most bare wood oak mouldings cost peanuts.

If an oak moulding is not straight, it ain't gonna work and fiddling around trying to hide the fact is crazy. How much per hour do you value you labour at? I reckon that cutting a new length is gonna cheaper when you add it all up and include the cost of you labour.

When I started my framing business (coming up to 12 years ago), I bought the full range of tins of wax filler from Lion and I've still got all of then. Some have only about half a tin left, but they have lasted all this time.

I can fix a little nick in the outside edge of a corner in less than thirty seconds and you can't see it. Job done! In the long run, these little tins of wax filler are great value for the money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

This may be your finest hour NYAF.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

I am giving Roboframer and Greysalchemy a break from the forum.

The perceived know-it-all and often self-aggrandising nature of their posts has alienated many members and potential members, damaging my vision of the forum as an all-embracing and welcoming place for everyone connected with our trade to meet and share the common experience in an atmosphere of mutual respect.