Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Whitewallframers
Organisation: The White wall gallery and framers
Interests: Collecting memorabilia and framing

Wizard 8000

Post by Whitewallframers »

Ive just committed to purchasing a second hand Wizzard 8000, is there any advice or info i will need to know about this product and is there anyone who has Positive or negative views? any info would be greately appreciated?

regards Matt
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: Wizard 8000

Post by YPF »

A good place to start would be a phone call Sam at Framers Corner, she has probably commissioned the vast majority of Wizard CMCs in the UK and should be able to answer any questions about operating the machine.

Every CMC user/owner will have an opinion about their own machine; they will all cut mounts with a high degree of accuracy, the variations will be how the information needed to cut is input and then how the fancy stuff is achieved.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Whitewallframers

Yes its Sam at Framers corner im buying the machine off, i was just wondering what pro's & con's there might be with this specific machine.

Im sure there is good and bad points with the Wizzard 8000 as there is with all machines, and so im just trying to get a heads up and trying to gather tips and as much knowledge as possible.

Thanks for the response
regards Matt
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Wizard in the States have a users forum and plenty of other resources on their website. Other than that, if Sam is installing and providing some training then pay attention to what she shows you and initially just get to grips with the basics. After that, when/if you have any issues your questions can be more specific.

Alternatively, try to find a Wizard owner nearby who may be prepared to 'show you the ropes'. Framers Corner occasionally put on some free training in their showroom - ask Sam about it.

Pros - it's my full time employee, so long as I input correctly, it will cut perfect mounts all day long.

Cons - I still find myself watching it cut but then I'm also a fan of How it's Made! It can be quite time consuming designing and test cutting shapes not in the catalogue. The SAS winged dagger took me a while! The included cut art catalogue is very US in style - I rarely use it.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I use an 8000 and don't have much to say really!

It just works.

Only cons are that the balloon clamps fail occasionally, so buy a couple of spares (they are only cheap). I use the more expensive blades (heavy duty) and find I get around 50 mounts to a blade, but if I'm cutting a complicated mount (double mount say with multiple apertures) then I change the blade before cutting as the blades are cheaper than mount card.

Make sure you regularly change the top undermount, I use a regular size sheet of the cheapest mount card with strips taped to it with masking tape to make up a jumbo. Otherwise your cuts will start to suffer

Before you start using it for the first time be sure to go through all the calibration rigmarole, it's worth the couple of hours to get it cutting perfectly.

Please come back with any specific questions and I'll be happy to try and help.
Whitewallframers

Thanks for the advice, as this is a new piece of equipment its going to be trail and error for parts of the learning curve, however it saves me using my competitors machine on a weekly basis.

The balloon clamps is a really useful tip as i would have no idea before hand.

regards Matt
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Hi YPF/Steve

I'd love to see the SAS piece if you have any photos?

David.