Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
tebbles
Organisation: the frame shop
Interests: music, framing

Best Air stapler?

Post by tebbles »

What are your opinions? I had a paslode which was awesome but broke, bought a different brand and it is terrible, so thinking of buying a new paslode. If I'm spending €200, are there any other makes/models I should be looking at?
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Re: Best Air stapler?

Post by Abacus »

I use a BEA 380 like this one

http://www.collatedfasteners.co.uk/bea- ... -i601.html

I used one which was still going strong after about 20 years, until it was stolen, so I replaced it with the same model
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

I use an Axminster Air stapler AW32NS and a nailer ( which to be perfectly honest I use for home stuff) Axminster AW50N

Brilliant tools and cheap enough
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I also use a number of different air tools from Axminster Power Tools. Off the top of my head, I can't quote the model numbers, but I have a 20 gauge wide crown stapler, a 20 gauge narrow crown stapler and a headless pinner. I don't use a stapler for fixing backs into frames, as I don't like this method of doing things. I use the wide crown stapler for stretching canvases and the narrow crown stapler for fixing stacked mouldings together.

The 23 gauge headless pinner is very good for discrete fixings which don't require any filling of the moulding before painting on handfinished frames. I'm not a big fan of the 18 gauge brad nailer as it often needs a bit of filling and sanding to tidy up the moulding afterwards.

I use the 20 gauge narrow crown stapler more than any of the others by quite a large margin. They all work well, don't cost much and can save a lot of time as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer