Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Off-the-shelf frames

Post by Rainbow »

An artist customer who I've done some framing work for has asked me to cut some mounts for off-the-shelf frames - they want to give some of their paintings away as framed gifts and it's understandable that they don't want to spend hundreds of pounds having them framed so fair enough.

The frames are about 22" x 18" and are underpinned with two pins. I was surprised to discover that there is quite a bit of "give" in the frames. The joints seem firm enough but the wood "bows" quite easily. When I return the job, is it worth mentioning to the artist that the frames are not very robust and that whilst they're OK for give-aways, they're not the best (ie permanent) option in case the artist ever thought of using similar frames in their own home. Or words to that effect. What would you do?
prospero

Re: Off-the-shelf frames

Post by prospero »

By all means mention your misgivings. We are here to give advice as well as chop and glue things. :D

Whether the advisee takes a blind bit of notice is another matter. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I think you've answered your own question. It's one of those 'you get what you pay for' scenarios but I suppose it's best if you give your opinion that there are better options are available :)

In my experience though with artists/photographers they usually want the cheapest option for framing their work, and whilst I'm biased, it's something I really don't understand. Oh, also.... I also have another photographer who regularly wants something 'nice & expensive looking' but they need it really cheap because they've promised their customer a freebie :Slap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

You got to spend enough to get your money's worth. :giggle:
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

Are you taping them up? A lot of ready-made frames - particularly Polcore or similar - can feel very flimsy, but taping them up helps massively...
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Hi Glimpse, no I've just been asked to provide the mounts for the customer to fit.

To be fair, the artist is already giving away their work as gifts, and I can understand why they're willing to spend maybe £20 each but not around £50-60 each.

I've not had this situation before and I don't want the customer to think I'm sounding critical, but if you think it's OK to mention my concern, I'll try and find a way of doing it tactfully.

Thank you all!
prospero

Post by prospero »

If the customer is doing the fitting - great! Let them faff about. You responsibility only extends
to the mounts. Which I'm sure are excellent. :D

If they want you to fit them into an iffy frame and produce a decent result, that a whole different kettle of worms.
For a start, I would charge x2 what you would charge for fitting in your own frames. And add a bit more for the PITA factor. :giggle:
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I see a few potential opportunities here: offer to mount, fit and tape up the frames after demonstrating how much the perception of quality increases... And put your sticker/stamp on the backs so you get a potential reframe in future.

Or sell them a few rolls of tape after applying a huge mark-up! :clap:
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Glimpse wrote
"I see a few potential opportunities here: offer to mount, fit and tape up the frames after demonstrating how much the perception of quality increases... And put your sticker/stamp on the backs so you get a potential reframe in future."

I've done this in the past, and asked the photographer not to mention I had anything to do with it, (in this instance the frames were from Cargo and they are the worst bit of carp I have ever come across :head: :head: :head: ) don't put your label on the back, because if the frames are as carp as you say , you do not want to be associated with them, charge the customer to fit up, but I would just supply the mounts and let them do the fitting. Never ever put your label on the back of a ready made frame (unless you have made it :giggle: ) as it's your guarantee of the workmanship , we never put out labels on the backs of frames unless we have done the whole job, we don't do if the picture comes with a mount , again unless we have cut it and they have bought the picture from one of the artist we supply
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Kevindaniel
Organisation: Sligo picture framing
Interests: Football. Table tennis.draughts.

Post by Kevindaniel »

Cheap readymade frames are like woodworm, not welcome
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

We never used to charge anything for fitting our mounts in to a customer's frame, but there have been a few times its taken longer than making a frame from scratch! Or the glass breaks and we end up replacing that. Going to start charging a set fee for it.

In this case, I would probably be quite honest with the customer, but keep it light and funny. It sounds like he knows the frames are crap and that he would get better frames if he paid you to make them. He's made a (relatively) informed choice that the ready made frames meet his needs better. If it's cheap giveaways to friends and family, I'd be tempted to agree with him!

I'd make a joke about cheap mass produced frames and let him know you'll sort him out with a proper one when he needs anything for himself or to sell.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

prospero

Post by prospero »

I did 12 'Range' frames for a customer just before Crimbo. They were 10x8s in 3/4" black cushion.

No trouble at all. No iffy corners. They were shrinkwrapped so the glass needed minimal cleaning if at all.

I cut mounts to fit the set of photos he provided, which were mostly the same size. No bookmounts, just taped
the photos to the back of the mounts. There was already a thin cover sheet in the frames that served as a barrier.
They had alligator clips on the backs. All I had to do was switch one or two to suit the orientation.
The frames came with bendy-tabs. I didn't tape the backs. All in all they were fine. I even had the original cardboard
pos stand so no wrapping up. :D Charged 60 quids and everybody was happy.

Of course 10x8 is a different animal to a 22x18. :?
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Less than 5 minutes to cut a mount and assemble? You wouldn't want to have to spend all week working at that rate, would you!
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

I reckon I'd have that job boxed off in an hour... 60 quid sounds fair enough... :clap: