Morso problems

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Mrs C
Organisation: Carol Coulter Framing
Interests: Eating, cooking, walking, football (watching), recycling, the great outdoors, dogs (esp jack russells).

Morso problems

Post by Mrs C »

Hello Fellow Framers
My trusty (and rather old) Morso has started to behave oddly. It is failing to cut right through to the bottom edge of the moulding. Which obviously, is something of a problem. The blades appear to be falling short by about 3mm. I haven’t changed or adjusted them recently, so it’s not that they’re not fitted correctly.
The thing that seems to be stopping them going the whole way is the foot pedal (is there a proper name for it?), but it goes right to the floor, so can’t see how I can adjust that.
Also, when I engage the blades by moving the handle along the ‘notches’, I am feeling a bit of ‘resistance’. As if something is in the way. I’ve looked but can’t see any obstructions. I just can’t figure it out.
I’m wondering whether to have it serviced, I’ve never done it before. If so, can you recommend anyone.
Anyone recognise the symptoms or have any other ideas?
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Re: Morso problems

Post by Chris2103 »

If the pedal is travelling as far as it can then it sounds like you may need to adjust connecting rod that connects the foot pedal to the knife block.
Mrs C
Interests: Eating, cooking, walking, football (watching), recycling, the great outdoors, dogs (esp jack russells).

Post by Mrs C »

Great minds Chris! I decided to pull the whole thing out and have a poke about. The nut on the connecting rod had come a little lose. I tightened it up and hey presto – seems to have done the trick. Such a little thing!
Many thanks.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

The morso is a very heavy bit of kit, are you sure it hasn't sank into the floor thus preventing the foot peddle being pushed all the way down?
Mrs C

Post by Mrs C »

Concrete floor IFGL, so not likely. The connecting rod seems to have been the problem. Thanks for getting back to me.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Have you got a shop cat? If so make sure it isn't fast asleep underneath your foot pedal, it is also possible that next doors cat could have gotten in!