PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
CaptainCorelli
Organisation: Ian Goldsmith - Fine Art
Interests: Art

Pro Turner underpinner question

Post by CaptainCorelli »

Hi.
Do any of you professional have insight into the Pro Turner underpinner (foot operated)? I've just bought one, but no idea what wedges/vnails it uses. The rest seems to work well.
Also, it doesn't seem to have a chute. Can you still get them?
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Re: Pro Turner underpinner question

Post by Ricky »

The Pro Turner Uses Cassese Uni wedges you can get both hardwood & soft wood
I don't understand what you mean by chute?
CaptainCorelli

Post by CaptainCorelli »

Thanks Ricky. Apparently the wedges need to go in a "chute". I've ordered some wedges and the holder from Peter at Framer's Equipment, so I guess I'll see this mythical "chute" when it arrives. I've read somewhere on here that there are two types of Pro Turner underpinners, one that takes Cassese type wedges in their plastic cartridge thing and one that doesn't.
As you can probably tell im completely new to all this, so I'm feeling about in the dark a bit about all this at the moment. Hopefully light will be shed soon.
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

Just to clarify.

Early Pro Turners were made to accept the original Cassese wedges in the 1st design of the plastic chutes that only went up to 12mm in height.
Cassese then changed the design of the plastic chutes (to the current version) so all the different size's of wedges came in chutes with the same dimensions this enabled them to accept wedges that go up to 15mm, this up dated version no longer fitted early the Pro Turners so they brought out a V2 Pro Turner that does accept the current plastic wedge chute design.

Anyone with an early version of the Pro Turner can use Cassese universal wedges but they would have to be put into a metal wedge chute that was made by (the now defunct) Taurus as the newer designed plastic chutes do not fit.

a way to identify which version of Pro Turner you have is:
Version 1 = triangular rubber clamp pad
Version 2 = circular clamp bung

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
CaptainCorelli

Post by CaptainCorelli »

Thanks Mark. That's really helpful and cleared up a lot of questions I had. I must have the early model, as it has a v shaped clamp.
I've just had a delivery of some wedges and the necessary "chute" they go in. Apparently each different size of wedge requires a corresponding size chute to deliver them, which is a bit of an expensive pain, but at least it works smoothly now :)
ComeOnYouReds!
Organisation: Our house
Interests: Trying to get it right first time.

Post by ComeOnYouReds! »

I still have a Pro Turner underpinner, orange/red colour. Never had anything else for 25 years !!
I'm glad you found Peter at Framers Equipment, he has helped me out a few times with chutes and other bits, but sadly the spares are becoming a bit rare. I've had mine in bits more times than I care to think of !
If you ever get a broken spring there's a company in Sheffield that will either repair the one you've got or will make you a new one. I've got their details in the garage.
sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Post by sable filbert »

ComeOnYouReds! wrote:I still have a Pro Turner underpinner, orange/red colour. Never had anything else for 25 years !!

Ditto! :D
Bought mine from Simons, in '93. okay 24 years. It's joined so many frames i have lost count, and still copes with oak and ash, although sometimes it struggles. I'm not a heavy user anymore, so it's in gentle semi-retirement and a good friend.