Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Re: Flecks in Mount Board

Post by DaveJ »

Yep working round it now and as you say using them for barrier boards, the last sheet I couldn't find a space without a fleck to cut the size mount I wanted! Anyway fair play to arqadia they replied to my email first thing this morning 'If you could advise of the mill reference which is normally stated on the label, then we can inspect this batch and come back to you'.....will look later.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I'm not surprised with Arqadia's response, out of everyone I would put their customer service at the top of the list. Not saying the rest are bad, but from personal experience I've found Arqadia to get things resolved the quickest.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I agree, such a well run company, every aspect. I collect in person sometimes and always find there operation extremely impressive.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Every so often I get these, I mainly use Arqadia Bright White, Snow White, Minuet and Hayseed.
Normally I just leave it, cut around it, or gouge it out in a fit of anger and then replace the board anyway.
One time I cut a big mount almost the size of the whole board and found a massive really ugly fleck that wouldn't come out easily.
So I scrapped the mount and did it again and found exactly the same in the next mount.
I phoned Arqadia at that point and was told that I'd had my pack of 25 for too long so wouldn't be getting a replacement and that I should check every single board when I get them. They changed their mind and offered a refund on 2 boards when I asked to speak to a manager.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Yes have had the same, gets a bit soul destroying after the 4th mount! Checking carefully now! Arqadia's quality control are looking into it! As I said before never had the problem previously only recent batches.
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Ken from F W Holroyd's was telling me about a mountboard which is made in a place which only does whites. Lion do it too from what I gather, the Value conservation and duo.

Apparently "Duo has been tested widely by framers using hand and CMC cutters and all report that it is a little softer than most boards, smooth and easy to cut. The fully integrated mill in Sweden only ever makes white and off-white board, so there is never any contamination from residue following production of darker colours. Value Duo and Value Univers Conservation have a lower speck count than almost any other boards available."

I'm quite tempted by a box of the duo, anyone know if it is any good?
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Post by sable filbert »

I first started using ' Artcare' (Nielsen) in '94 and found the boards really good. Even so, very very occasionally we would find "bits", one I picked at subsequently bled!! :D
That mount went awol.

But having bought many many hundreds of their product, I would say try it - Rose & Hollis also sell the full range.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The one Crescent blackcore that I use had a tendency to have tiny metal fragments in it. Right in the core
so you couldn't see them. But occasionally the blade would hit one which ruined it. :o

The later stuff had a core of a different consistency so I guess they fired somebody.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Post by maguirei »

Just cut 12 various mounts (mainly off-whites) from Bainbridge Artcare board - no problem. Then went to cut 6 mounts from 3 sheets of Arquadia board (which we still sometimes use for budget jobs) - 2 of the mounts had large grey specks in them so had to be binned. This is fairly typical. For me the cost of time is more important, so I use the Bainbridge Artcare range wherever possible.