Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Flecks in Mount Board

Post by DaveJ »

Hi guys, not sure if you've got any views/input on this. I use Arqadia's arctic white as my standard white mount board. Recently I've been having spots/flecks in it. Not small enough to live with or pass off, it looks like flumbs. Wasting loads of material and time, it's a real pain. The obvious solution and what I will have to do is find an alternative but just wondered if any comments on this, cheers guys, Dave J.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Flecks in Mount Board

Post by StevenG »

Sigh, I've noticed this too (normally just as I'm about the seal everything up). I've tried several brands but I've found the same issue with each, from the cheapest to the notso cheapest. I just accept it now, I swear a bit & then cut another
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Yep, same as. I never noticed it before, only the last few batches, maybe they changed paper supplier or whatever!?! Will have to try an alternative as they are not natural flecks more like a black spot which of course is magnified under the glass. Not small enough to be acceptable for a customer. Annoying. I will email them and ask just wanted some feedback here first, cheers.
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

Unfortunately it seems to be happening with a few boards from different suppliers - mainly whites - I've had issues with Colour mount's Iced White for a while now (used to use it a lot, less now though) and I've had the same issue this week with Colourmount Essence White & Arqadia's Soft White & Arctic White...

Wasted a good few hours (& board) the other day cutting mounts - all had bits which I wouldn't let pass....I was starting to think it was just me - but I'm glad that's it not just me, I was starting to think I was going a little mad to be honest!!!
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Post by Chris_h »

I am getting the same with Arqadia Snow White board at the moment, pretty much every mount at the moment I am having to dig stuff out of. Sometimes it's easy enough to pick out with a blade if it's not too deep, but it is a pain to do.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It's a familar problem, unfortunately this happens from time to time. I've generally experienced very little trouble with Arqadia mountboard, but in recent years this sort of problem seems to be more common than it once was.

There's no guaranteed way to fix this, a scalpel blade sometimes works, but sometimes it just makes the spot bigger, because the inclusion gets bigger as you dig deeper. Realistically, I think that this is something that comes around every now a then and we have to live with it as best we can.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Post by maguirei »

I moved away from colourmount some years ago as I got fed up with these flecks. In my experience you very very rarely get them in Bainbridge board - but of course it is more expensive. Swings and roundabouts spend more on materials or more on labour!
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

My understanding of this problem (after a lengthy discussion with my A&T Rep) is that the problem is the sequence in the manufacturing process with most,if not all manufacturers. In that when the boards and laid during the process, the manufacturers produce all boards in the same machinery/plants but they make the fundamental error of producing colours and black in the same plant as they manufacture the whites.. not a major issue if the equipment was cleaned out properly in between colour changes. This is where the problem lies and flumbs do find their way into the lighter shades.. yes is is a complete PiTA but are they likely to change their processes... probably not, because they have paid a lean processing advisor tens of thousands to help them increase productivity and save money, and this is what they came up with... even a 10% flaw rate would be perfectly acceptable before they would consider the process incorrect and make changes
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Hmm interesting, so not just me. I've just had a very large mount cut by someone who has a CMC as my Ultimat isn't big enough, I paid for a jumbo sheet of porcelain white and for them to cut the mount. They use Nielson-Bainbridge. I forgot to ask for the bit in the middle which was more or less a stock sheet size, DOH!! wanted to check for flecks with the view to using them, no flecks at all on the mount. I've would have struggled to cut a near stock sheet sized mount in white without a black spot judging by recent goings on! Their porcelain white is actually whiter than the arqadia Arctic white and nice texture, bit more expensive I think but you can buy single sheets. Same minimum 5 like Arqadia but can mix the colours, I believe.... Anyone else use Nielson Bainbridge?
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Sorry maguirei just saw your comment on Bainbridge so think I will try them, at least for whites anyway, cheers.
Jayvee
Organisation: Framed By John
Interests: Framing, Football, Cricket, Movies

Post by Jayvee »

Yeah that's my plan for the future...moving shop in a few weeks so try get rid of what I've got then move exclusively to Bainbridge in the new place....

I had ditched Colourmount but had to match a job I did from ages ago!!! Mainly use Arqadia now; but if this issue is going to pop up....we'll bainbridge may be the way to go! I'd rather spend a little more per sheet and save the time!!

Also is that true re:bainbridge mixing the sheets? If so...yeah I'll be a convert!!
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I've used Bainbridge for years and it's a good board, especially the artcare range, you still get bits though. In twenty years I've not heard of a board that doesn't but I'm sure some are better than others, generally I find Arqadia and Bainbridge as good as any and better than most and you get what you pay for. Which is no consolation when it's driving you up the wall and you are on your third sheet of board. It used to be that some of the cheaper boards used recycled material which increased the contamination factor. Hopefully it's a bad batch, if not and it's a manufacturing efficiency thing probably time to find an alternative, there comes a point the time and wastage means it's just not worth it.
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

It is only the Arctic white I've had the prob with though, I also use the Rain Shimmer White which never has flecks, also never had a problem with the colours. Like all other materials mix and match companies I suppose! Been meaning to post this for weeks, glad I did now! :D
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

I moved to Nielsen Bainbridge Artcare boards more than a year ago for both the colour range and the extra protection they provide. The protection provided is a feature of my sales patter to customers.

Nielson Bainbridge do have a minimum order of 5 for boards but they can be a mixture - as with most companies these days the service provided by the Sales staff is first class.

I have only had 1 board from Nielsen Bainbridge that had a fleck below the top surface compared to vastly more from other manufacturers I previously used.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

Nielson Bainbridge getting good press that's for sure!
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We used exclusively Arqadia boards for years but have now moved mainly to Bainbridge boards and just kept a few of the Arqadia colours. There do seem to be less bits in the Bainbridge boards.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I have emailed Arqadia and asked, I'm hoping maybe just a bad batch, I don't like to complain, don't normally, especially as they are such a good company.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Now if there was a manufacturer that just made white mount boards and are fleck free, that would be wonderful.
Lion do one.
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

Having the same problem with Daler Ice white, doesn't sound like it will help me by changing brands.

Always had the odd bit but it's gotten worse just resonantly.
Anything Framed
prospero

Post by prospero »

This has always been a PITA for framers. Very often it's probably just a bad batch.

The only thing to do is check the board before cutting and try to arrange things so the fleck
is somewhere on the waste part. If the fleck is embedded and not just sitting on the surface
it's 99% impossible to dig it out without leaving a hole. Don't pick at it - it won't get better. :lol:

Or..... Save the flecky boards to use as undermount. :yes:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About