Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
CaptainCorelli
Organisation: Ian Goldsmith - Fine Art
Interests: Art

Axcaliber MT1 mitre trimmer

Post by CaptainCorelli »

Anyone got any views on the Axcaliber trimmer? I haven't got the room or budget for a Morso etc., so wondered if these bench top trimmers would do the trick.

Thanks
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Re: Axcaliber MT1 mitre trimmer

Post by Chris2103 »

I think the idea of these is to fine tune after a mitre saw cut. I suspect you could use to shave of to create a mitred cut from scratch. I have one from when I started out. If still interested in one PM me as looking to sell my one as now have the Morso
CaptainCorelli

Post by CaptainCorelli »

Thanks Chris. Did it do the job? I've got an electric mitre saw and an underpinner. Not looking to go into daily production, but wanted to do a professional looking job of frames for my own work.
Thanks.
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Post by Chris2103 »

It did. Cut the moulding slightly over length with the saw and then take very narrow shaves off to take the moulding to length required leaving a nice smooth finish.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The slightly tricky part is getting two opposing rails of the frame exactly the same length.
These machines are fine if you are shaving a piece to fit in a space, say like on an door
architrave. But shaving two bits the same is not impossible, but the danger is that you over-shave one
side and then have to shave the other to match. Too far on that one and you have to redo the first one.
Before you know it you have a frame much smaller than intended. :roll:

All in all, if you get the hang of it then it's fine. A might long-winded but it will do the job. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
CaptainCorelli

Post by CaptainCorelli »

Sadly I haven't got the cash or space for a professional guillotine, so I guess it'll have to do. Will try to make sure I'm very precise though Prospero. Thanks for the advice.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

I've got one and I do as Chris2103 said - slightly overcut with the mitre saw and then trim. Once you get familiar with the tolerances, it's easy to get a precise cut. When you first get it, it would pay to practise on some offcuts before you try it on some expensive moulding, until you get used to it. As prospero has said, it's a bit of a long-winded way of doing it, but if like me, you don't want to get a Morso, then it does a good job. I've used a Morso in the past and it's not a piece of kit that I would ever want to buy for a number of reasons so the Axcaliber is the perfect solution for me.

PS. I've never tried trimming a hardwood with it, or any specially thick/deep mouldings. Those type of mouldings may be beyond the capabilities of the Axcaliber - I'd check with Axminster if you are planning to trim such mouldings.
prospero

Post by prospero »

You could split the difference. :P

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About