Underpinner question

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
The Spaniel
Organisation: home
Interests: Fizz, friends, framing...........

Underpinner question

Post by The Spaniel »

I'm looking at stepping up to a pneumatic underpinner. I've seen the Alfamacchine U400 S and it's a very well put together machine, very smooth in operation. Sat next to the Inmes IM4 it looks like a Bentley next to a Ford.

The problem is the size range of mouldings it will deal with.

It's shown as being able to pin mouldings up to 80mm wide and 80mm high.

The Inmes on the other hand has the flexibility to go to 150mm wide and 116mm tall. That's a big difference !

I could live with the huge difference in cost between the two machines but I'm just not sure if I should be paying £1000 more for a machine that is less flexible. Strangely, The U400 S is, I'm told, a re-issue/re-production of the Alfa Minigraf 44 which could pin mouldings up to 120mm wide. That would have been an excellent compromise and would have sealed the deal for me. Why on earth they've started making the machine again but for a smaller size moulding is beyond me.

Has anyone any thoughts, particularly users....

regards

The Spaniel
prospero

Re: Underpinner question

Post by prospero »

The widest mouldings that are generally available are < 100mm.
That quoted max 80mm maybe means the max 'reach' of the pinner. You might be able
to go bigger, just not pin right up to the inside - which you wouldn't do anyway.

I doubt if you would ever need to pin a 150mm moulding even if you could find one. :D

As for the pinner, I've never used an Imnes machine but I've used Imnes v-nails and they are rubbish. :lol:
I might be maligning the company but I wouldn't buy an Imnes pinner if the quality of the v-nails is anything to go by. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
The Spaniel

Post by The Spaniel »

Thanks for the reply. Food for thought. If the Cassese 200 was the same price I'd be laughing, but the budget is stretched to breaking point as it is.

Anyone else have any thoughts....
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Post by Mark Thornton »

According to Alfamacchine the U400 specs are actually:

Moulding width: 6mm-140mm
Moulding height: 6mm-80mm
Max distance between wedges: 200mm
Link: https://www.fletcherviscom.com/frame-jo ... /amp-u-400

in which case it may meet your requirements.

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Suggestions? Go second hand. There have been a couple of nice looking Minigrafs on eBay for about £400-600 over the last few weeks.

I've got a somewhat asthmatic Minigraf 4; it's a superb piece of kit but it must have seen some hard work before I got it. But, as Prospero says, are you making frames for the National Gallery, and if not are you sure you need to pin such huge moulding?
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Suggestions? Go second hand. There have been a couple of nice looking Minigrafs on eBay for about £400-600 over the last few weeks.

I've got a somewhat asthmatic Minigraf 4; it's a superb piece of kit but it must have seen some hard work before I got it. But, as Prospero says, are you making frames for the National Gallery, and if not are you sure you need to pin such huge moulding?
The Spaniel

Post by The Spaniel »

Mark, this is what I've been lead to believe is available:

https://www.fletcherviscom.com/frame-jo ... ine-u-400s
The Spaniel

Post by The Spaniel »

Jamesnkr, you may be right. This will be a one off purchase for me so I'm trying to hedge my bets and get the machine with the most flexibility.
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

Hi

On the Fletcher links provided above, there are 2 u400 models - u400 & u400s. The U400 will do 140mm wide and the U400s will do 80mm wide.

I have not checked if there are any other differences as it is late and I need to sleep. I would like a U 400 myself, but need to study the differences and check out the price.

Not really helpful sorry.