Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Bainbridge whitecore

Post by muffinski »

I have recently started to use Nielsen Brainbridge mountboard, and found on quite a few sheets that the reverse side (white side) is wavey/blistered almost. For those of you who having been using for a while is that standard for their mountboard of is this faulty?
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Re: Bainbridge whitecore

Post by Tudor Rose »

Not experienced that at all. Can you post an image and is it only certain colours?
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Post by muffinski »

Can post photos tomorrow, got lots of boards 4071, basically it seems to be an issue with the way the top and bottom layers and put together with rest of layers. If you slightly flex the board the top on bottom layers buckle away. Never experienced this with other brands of boards.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

That sounds like it's delaminating
Tear or cut through the "blister" to see if the plys are not stuck together.
It's a nightmare for mount board mfgs. as impossible to see on a laminating machine.
Unfortunately it's the framer who is first to see it.
I'm sure if you tell the supplier they will replace FOC.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Post by sable filbert »

Keith Hewitt wrote: I'm sure if you tell the supplier they will replace FOC.
Nielsen in my experience are very good.
(so are Wessex)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to use Neilsen Bainbridge whitecore at one time. I was using the Tru-Vue mountboard which suddenly dried up and at the time I found that a good amount of the Neilsen Bainbridge colours were a not bad match for the Tru-Vue colours.

I stuck with Neilsen Bainbridge whitecore for a few years, but eventually stopped using them because of difficulty in obtaining the boards that I ordered. The rep at the time told me that they looked after their large customers in preference to smaller customers. I just gave up and switched to Arqadia.

I don't think much of their whitecore, it's not very dense and some colours turn out to be very poor in terms of light fastness. Also colour variations between batches were not good either.

If you want to use Neilsen Bainbridge, then I suggest that you use their Artcore range instead, the difference is amazing, you would not think that they were made by the same company.

Neilsen Bainbridge Artcore mountboard is everything that their whitecore is not, in fact the Artcore is one of the nicest mountboards on the market and has an amazingly large range of colours too. These days I use Arqadia, Colourmount, Daler and Simons. I still have some Tru-Vue boards left, but not many now.

When Simons did their roadshow the colourmount rep was there and she told me straight out that the Simons own boards were normal full spec Colourmont boards. So I use the Simons boards where possible to save money.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer