Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

2 window mounts?

Post by baughen »

I've been asked to mount 2 old deeds (as separate frames). As expected, although they have been weighted down for weeks they have only flattened to a certain extent. The customer doesn't want the documents to be handled by a conservationist etc. (not valuable) and I don't have the equipment and knowledge to flatten them more. The documents are about 70 cms by 62 cms. If I agreed to take on the jobs I had anticipated float mounting using the Hedgehog method. I've mainly used the 'Float Mounting of Art on Heavy Paper' from the Lion Info Store as my reference. My question now is 'Would it be acceptable practice to have a smaller window mount cut out of the major window mount/dropout?'. I am working on the basis that central area of the documents would then be held flatter. Am I missing something or are there other problems awaiting? I would appreciate feedback from the great expertise and experience of this forum.

Thanks in anticipation.
Cliff
prospero

Re: 2 window mounts?

Post by prospero »

There are a few little tricks but if you have had them under weight for while you can be pretty sure that
they won't go flatter without expert attention. Always remember that there is a fine line where framing
can stray into restoration. Best not to cross it.

So you have to take what you got and deal with it. :D

Float mounting would be good if you lifted the edges away from the backing board. Hedgehog it onto
5mm foamcore and then stick the foam core to the backing. A true floating effect. It will tend to look
less wavy as any undulations along the edge will vary from 5mm to whatever. Be less noticeable than
varying from 0 to whatever. Treat it as a 3D object. :wink: Spacers in the frame -sorted.

On an old thing you expect a few crinkles. Celebrate the waves and bumps. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

...... another thing to watch is the paper. Old paper can deteriorate to the point where hinges won't hold.
The glued hinge will easily pull off taking a layer of paper with it.
Test a hinge first before you attempt the full hedgehog.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

To flatten:

Take two pieces of mountboard. Spray some distilled water onto one using a mist spray, and spread it about. Wait a moment or two (in this weather) and then the board will be effectively dry, but will hold residual moisture. Place document on top and other piece of board on top. Weight flat under some cans of paint and leave overnight to dry.

Risk: water-soluble ink. Likelihood of risk: tiny, ink wasn't water-soluble back then, and you're not actually wetting it anyway.
Risk: it might all stick together. Likelihood of risk: slim.

Don't let the customer's cheapskate attitude to conservation become your problem. Get them to help you with this process... I flatten quite a lot of things this way, but then they do belong to me.

In an ideal world you will use a layer of Goretex between the wet board and the document so that only water vapour will pass through.
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

Thanks for the responses.
Client needs to get agreement with others in his building. Decisions by committee imply it could be some time before I hear whether to go ahead. https://www.theframersforum.com/posting ... =6&t=15492#