positioning a sculpture in 3D deep box frame

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

positioning a sculpture in 3D deep box frame

Post by daveym »

I am placing a solid foamed round shaped scuplure into a deep frame. The depth of the 3D boxed area is approx 90mm and the depth of my item is approx 70mm so i wanted a distance of approx 10mm between the back of the scupture to the backboard and 10mm between the glass and front of scupture so it appears to be floating. Because the sculpture is quite light is there anything that can be stuck to the backing board and then inserted into the back of the foam or something I can use so as to give a floating effect but keeps the scupture rigid and in place if the mirror were shaken or moved around as I need to send send these out to customers?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: positioning a sculpture in 3D deep box frame

Post by Steve N »

In the mid 90's, it memory serves me right, I entered a framing competition, had to frame a drinks can, I decided to frame a Coke can, after drilling a hole in the back of the can to drain the coke out, I unbent a couple of paper-clips , then re-bent them with a 90 degree bend at each end, only about 10mm at each end. I then soldered each of the paper-clips to the back of the can, the other ends passed through the backing card and was glued with an epoxy glue to hold in place, the can then appeared to be floating in the frame.

So you could stick a paper-clip in the back of the foam sculpture, then pass the paper clip through the backing and secure, experiment with that to see if it works
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/