paper/card prints for deep box framed backing board

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

paper/card prints for deep box framed backing board

Post by daveym »

I have recently posted with regards to using 3D deep box frames for some of my small scuptures. I am wanting to put a background print onto the backing board behind the sculpture. I have a reasonably good inkjet printer and wondered if there was suitable paper or printable card on the market that kept the print out from fading over time. Alternatively do people use sprays over a standard print out that might protect from sunlight?

Also what would is the best way of sticking this to a 9" x 9" backing board. Should I use double sided tape or glue etc???

Any help is greatly appreciated.
prospero

Re: paper/card prints for deep box framed backing board

Post by prospero »

You need to mount them properly in a heat press or with a roller machine. You can do the same 'wet' using
PVA glue but you really should have them under pressure while the glue sets. Forget ds tape. :?
If you don't stick them down you could lay them on a piece of board (a bit bigger than the print) and tape the
board down. This will hold the print in place but depending on the paper it may go wavy.

There are no sprays that will give UV protection. Use decent inks in the printer or UV glass in the frame. :wink:

* Sprays may have a UV rating but that refers to how the coating itself resists deterioration in sunlight. Nowt to do
with it's filtering qualities.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: paper/card prints for deep box framed backing board

Post by Steve N »

It's like anything, the quality of the products, you will need to use the printers brand of ink, not cheap substitute or Tesco's own brand, plus good quality paper, again the printer own brand of paper. According to the printer manufacturers, most say that using a combination of their brand of paper and ink , the print should last at least 75years, but then they would say that, wouldn't they.
Best thing to do would be use conservation glass in the frame
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/