Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Conservation glass

Post by Rainbow »

I've been asked to frame a handwritten piece of paper, which has huge sentimental value. The writing is in blue biro and the paper looks fairly old. There is also a new photograph to go with it. The customer has asked for "non-reflective" glass, but what he really means is anti-fade glass. I'm inclined to recommend that he keeps it in a drawer and frames a copy, but I'd better give him glass options as well.

In my experience, blue biro is one of the quickest things to fade. Will even the best AR glass prevent it fading?

I've studied all the glass options on the Wessex web site.

As far as Artglass is concerned, Preservation Clear UV99 is supposed to be the top of the range, but I can't see that it's a higher spec than AR UV99 as they both offer 99% UV protection and the blurb for both of them says "the risk of UV damage is nearly impossible". But AR UV99 is anti-reflective as well so would seem to be better than Preservation Clear...?

The Tru Vue equivalent would seem to be Conservation Reflection Control.

I've read a lot of previous topics on the forum about AR glass, and Artglass appears to have the edge over Tru Vue, but some of the posts are quite old so the situation may have changed. Does anyone have any views about this? Cutting isn't an issue as I would get it cut to size.
Jamesnkr

Re: Conservation glass

Post by Jamesnkr »

Make sure they hang it somewhere that is not exposed to daylight.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The AR properties of glass have no relevance to it's conservation properties. It just lets you see what is beneath clearer.

What you need in this case is Museum glass with a UV coating. Even then with blue biro there is no guarantee. Your idea of storing it in
a drawer and framing a copy is the best option.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks both for your advice :)