Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Hanging frames in public places

Post by kuduframes »

Please can anyone point me in the right direction or give some guidance as to what the legal requirements are for hanging frames in public buildings. I am aware of "springlock" and other and other security devices but would like to see what the safety regulations actually state.
Thanks in advance.
prospero

Re: Hanging frames in public places

Post by prospero »

From what I gather glass is a no-no. Polycarbonate sheet is readily available and virtually indestructible.
It is softer than acrylic so it won't crack but it will scratch.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Surely there are no such regulations? We may be over-regulated, but not to the extent that laws have been passed on picture frames.

Art galleries and museums are full of picture frames containing glass. You can't get much more public than the National Gallery which has had a programme of glazing all its paintings.
kuduframes

Post by kuduframes »

Thanks for your input James, it's not just the question of glass it's also securing the frame so that it cannot be accidentally or otherwise dropped, in which case glass breaks. I think the National gallery may have a reasonably secure method of attaching their little collection to the walls to prevent accidents and light fingered individuals from lifting the odd little masterpiece. Apart from that do, they not use museum acrylic rather than glass?

Please add "if any" after requirements and regulations in my opening post.

I recall past discussions relating to this subject particularly from Grays Alchemy who is no longer active on the forum but have not found anything in my limited search on past topics
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

This could come under the Health and Safety section of ' If it looks dangerous or somebody playing silly buggers could hurt them selves, then cover you ass'

know a hospital that all framed picture must be made of fire retardant materials, have have certificate to prove it

Think it's a case of the public places having to run their own risk assessment , then passing it on to you
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Our experience has been that each establishment has their own rules. Some are OK with glass, others are not. Some insist on security fixings that are hidden behind, others want mirror plates to screw to the wall, others have been fine with normal fixings.

if you know where these are going then I would contact them direct and just ask.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

When ever I've framed anything which needs to hang in a public place, I've recommended laminated glass. It's pretty safe stuff and unlike plasitc glazing, there no problem with fire retardancy.

BTW, it's not your responsibility to specify how this should be done, the customer should determine their requirements, but that does not stop you from offering some options. Let the customer choose from the options that you offer. Above all make sure that the customers copy of the order states that it's the customers responsibility to determine the suitability of the materials used as far as any regulations affecting hanging in a public place.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

I know when my late father donated some photos to his local hospital they insisted that they handled how they were displayed and they had to be done so that there was no means of harbouring bacteria etc. (and presumably dust and dirt).
kuduframes

Post by kuduframes »

Thanks to everyone for your comments
iantheframer
Organisation: is not my greatest talent!
Interests: photography

Post by iantheframer »

Are you intending to hang the frames yourself?

If you are I would strongly advise against this. There are all sorts of issues regarding public liability and health and safety when working in public areas. there are many companies that do this type of thing and it is best to contact them and pass on their name to your customer.
Ian
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Good point Ian, we wouldn't offer a hanging service, whether for public/commercial/business spaces or private homes, especially in today's , 'Sue you at the drop of the hat' mentality :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
kuduframes

Post by kuduframes »

Thanks Ian, no intention of doing any hanging and well aware of the liability issues.