Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

How reflective is anti-reflective

Post by Rainbow »

I've just framed a job with Artglass AR UV99 which claims "Less than 1% light reflection". Although the reflection is muted, there is definitely still quite a lot of reflection. I'm quite surprised at this as I would have expected the reflection to be barely noticeable. It makes me wonder about the "99% UV protection" claim, which was an important factor for my customer.

I'm not experienced with anti-reflection UV-filtering glass so can anyone tell me if this level of reflection is to be expected, or have I got a defective batch?
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Re: How reflective is anti-reflective

Post by Framie »

In the right light/placement it should be invisible but if you have a light source opposite ie a window you will still see the reflection.
Anything Framed
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks, Framie, and yes it was opposite a window when I noticed the reflection. I'd dropped it off to the customer, and thinking I would show him how fantastic the glass was compared with standard glass, I held it up to some other pictures he had on the wall - big mistake, huge! It's good that I can let him know the reason for the reflection, I'm very grateful for your explanation.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I find that if you look for the reflection you will find it, but otherwise it's almost impossible to see.
I have a sample on the wall with normal glass and anti-reflective glass side by side and customers are consistently impressed and it means they are choosing based on what they see, rather than scientific figures that may or may not tally with expectations.