What sizes of off cuts do you find are worth keeping?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

What sizes of off cuts do you find are worth keeping?

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm looking at reducing the amount of off cuts that I will bother to keep and try to use when the chance comes along. At present one of my work benches has storage bays for different, but standard sizes of glass and backing board. However next month I will become a pensioner and I'm looking for an easier life, so more stuff will just get chucked in the dumpster. As a result, I was wondering what sizes of glass, backing board and mountboard determine whether other members decide to keep, or dump your off cuts.

Another subject of interest is what sizes of RMF's are not worth bothering to make with left over stock? I'm gradually leaning towards not making any below something like 10" x 8", but I also discussed this with another knowledgeable member of the forum who suggested that smaller frames may still have good things going for them. Currently I tend to try and maintain a reasonable stock of 10" x 8"'s, 12" x 10"'s and 16" x 12"'s, but I don't mind quickly making up the odd RMF to other sizes. My main limiting factor at present being available shelf space to store and display RMF's.

My thanks in advance for your opinions,
Mark.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: What sizes of off cuts do you find are worth keeping?

Post by Steve N »

we sell a lot of square R/M as there seems to be a lot of square prints around at the moment, due to IKEA square frames, we have a promotion on 6"x6" square frames with a mount in to fit 4"x4" pictures, they sell at £5.00 each or 5 for £20.00, they are great for Instagram photos

I keep a stock of glass cut to size in standard size up to A4, easy when you are cutting glass for the weeks work, just cut any off cut to the nearest standard size, they are then ready for any R/M you may make all so if anybody brings in any photo frame with broken glass, you can replace while they wait
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Post by cebrooker »

Steve N wrote:I keep a stock of glass cut to size in standard size up to A4, easy when you are cutting glass for the weeks work, just cut any off cut to the nearest standard size, they are then ready for any R/M you may make all so if anybody brings in any photo frame with broken glass, you can replace while they wait
Steve, How do you store the glass when cut down to size without scratching? Do you use sheets of paper or anything?
cebrooker
Organisation: Blunty's Mill B&B
Interests: Sport, signature collection, looking to start framing.

Post by cebrooker »

Steve N wrote:I keep a stock of glass cut to size in standard size up to A4, easy when you are cutting glass for the weeks work, just cut any off cut to the nearest standard size, they are then ready for any R/M you may make all so if anybody brings in any photo frame with broken glass, you can replace while they wait
Steve, How do you store the glass when cut down to size without scratching? Do you use sheets of paper or anything?
prospero

Post by prospero »

I once made some little 'crates' from 3 x 3/4" timber to store small glass bits. I had one for 10X8"s, one
for 8 x 6"s, etc. I chopped up all my offcuts and stacked them in the crates ready for use.

That was 25-odd years ago and I've still got them and they are still full. :roll:

I even gave a photographer mate a few and as far as I know he has still got his. :lol: :|

I have a big galvanised water tank down the garden full of long strips. :Slap:

You wouldn't think it to look at me, but I'm rolling in long bits of glass. :shock:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Got an old shelf unit, which I made when I first opened for Ready Mades, then I built a wall with shelfs on for the ready mades, now thw old unit is near where I cut glass, so when cutting for the week orders, I just cut the off cuts into standard sizes, these are just added to the ones on the shelves, just stacked up leaning against the back, no paper, very rare to get any scratches , if I do just bin it :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

One of my work benches has storage spacing built into the bottom section on both sides. I do the same as Steve N, it works quite well and like Steve I store sizes upto A4. Most of the off cut pieces sizes are not big enough to go beyond A4, but there is some mileage in cutting up full size sheets in such a way to provide a few pieces for 12" x 16" and 20" x 16".
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Another vote for square frames. These days "all" photographs are square. (Well, all photographs on Instagram are square, and it feels as though Instagram's format has found favour everywhere.) I have never noticed a square RMF anywhere which in this world of Instagram seems odd, but Steve says Ikea do them.
Not your average framer

I sell square RMF's, it's not a deliberate decision as such, some off-cuts are only usable for square frames. Some customers are pleased to buy a few, more often than not it's people who are just passing through and have to decide to buy them there and then, if they want them.

Square frames are really popular, that's for sure, but they are perhaps too much of a mass market thing with some of the cheap shops and stores, who can beat most framers on prices. If you want to make an impact in this market, I think that you need to give yourself a bit of an edge.

Probably making them out of oak, or ash would get them noticed a bit more. Also nicely stained oak does seem somewhat popular with a reasonable number of customers. I found this out mainly by accident, because some of my off-cuts of oak and ash don't always match each other when using them up for ready made frames, so I started staining them with teak coloured stain which seems surprisingly popular.

I've done a few white stained oak as well, which hasn't worked out too badly. As always picking something which will do well in your location seems to be like trying to hit a moving target, so I think that you need to stay ahead of the game, by varying what you are offering a little to see what appeals at different times.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer