Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
carpman
Organisation: Innes Photography
Interests: photography, framing, fishing

storing mount cutter

Post by carpman »

Hi, I have a valiani astra 120 mount cutter which is not used everyday, and as I have very limited space storage is an issue. I have been thinking that I could setup a pulley system and when not in use I could store the cutter above my work bench close the ceiling!

Apart from the obvious which is making sure it does not fall on me, what other issue could I encounter? I am worried that the base might warp if only supported at each end? I have some 1" wide 1/4" thick aluminum bar I could use to reinforce the center and possible have attachment points at both ends and the middle.

Any thoughts

Thanks
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: storing mount cutter

Post by Steve N »

It should be okay leaning against the wall when not in use, you will find it takes a lot of force to bend /warp extruded aluminium, personally I would hang it from the wall, drill a couple of hole in the end plate, thread some cord through, fix a hook in the wall, hang from the cord, job done
As they say"Keep it Simple"
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
carpman

Post by carpman »

Unfortunately no wall space, hence hanging above bench idea.
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Could you cut a bit of wood for it to sit on then suspend the wood rather than the mountcutter?
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I have a shelf for my mountcutter that is above a door. Or do you envisage it hanging in the middle of the room rather than at the edge? If you look on the bottom you will probably find that it sits on just four or maybe six rubber feet, so I wouldn't worry about the warping if suspended in the manner you mention. I'd be more worried about engineering it properly, but that's a different matter!
carpman

Post by carpman »

kartoffelngeist wrote:Could you cut a bit of wood for it to sit on then suspend the wood rather than the mountcutter?
lol so simple i missed it, good idea thanks
carpman

Post by carpman »

Jamesnkr wrote:I have a shelf for my mountcutter that is above a door. Or do you envisage it hanging in the middle of the room rather than at the edge? If you look on the bottom you will probably find that it sits on just four or maybe six rubber feet, so I wouldn't worry about the warping if suspended in the manner you mention. I'd be more worried about engineering it properly, but that's a different matter!
No room for shelf, and even if there was I would not fancy lifting it up high as this is heavy mount cutter 30kg i believe.

Don't worry I have been thinking about the safety aspect of have a 30kg mount cutter above my workbench.