Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

Daler mount board alert

Post by muffinski »

So currently I mainly use Daler mount boards I order from Lion. I see from their website the price has increased by %20. Last week I notice a few mounts boards are out of stock, phone Lion not sure when they will be back in. Today I have tried to order mount boards for about 15 jobs, most are not available. Transpires that Daler has been brought by another company, who have changed a few things at the same time such as the price and also decided to move the factory where they are made!? As a result they are not currently supplying Lion. So now I have the job of trying to mach up the Daler with other brands of mount board, call the customer and advise if they are happy to go with something similar, or want to come and choose something them selves or wait an unknown amount of time for Daler to restock Lion. Talk about being left in the sh£t! Lion should really have spoken up and warned their customers about this. So this is a heads up if you order Daler mount board as and when you need it. :head:
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Re: Daler mount board alert

Post by Framie »

I had a call last week and we spoke about the price rise and the moving of Daler but nothing was mentioned about not being supplied. But that does explain why he was trying to get me to change to Colourmount.

That's a bit naughty, I only use Daler.
Anything Framed
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

I've just taken a look at the stock and yes not good at all :head: :head: well that's peed me off.
Anything Framed
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I saved this up for 37 years, now is a good time to disclose it :o
Sounds like history repeating itself !
In the 1970s I had recently joined Slater Harrison as an assistant to the Sales Manager.
I was tasked with looking for new business.
I discovered a co. called Daler, had a board called STUDLAND and were habitually letting graphic/art shops down, with late deliveries, and items out of stock.
It was causing headaches for the art/graphic shops constantly being out of stock.
I decided this was a gap worth exploiting so we introduced a range of 25 colours, but in size 32 x 44 inchesn -( the art shop size )
We did not undercut Daler, we just made 100% sure we always had stock. As we had only very small stocks to start, I limited sales to shops no more than 30 miles from our mill.
Imagine my surprise after a few weeks to be getting calls from all over the country from shops wanting to buy
It transpired Daler had given their sales force a fact sheet listing all that was wrong with our board, and instructed them to go to all their customers and show it to them. :Slap:
I can still remember one man from Torquay giving me a right lecture and saying I want to buy your boards and you wont sell to me - what a lousy sales person you are!
I cheekily replied .... move to within 30 miles and you can have all you want , delivered tomorrow.
We never advertised the new COLOURMOUNT - well we couldn't it was only sold in the 30 miles limit.
This was later extended to 50, and then 100 miles. It was months before we were able to sell all over the country.
But by that time I believe Daler had told every art /graphic shop about it, and created a huge interest and demand.

What lessons to be learnt ?
NEVER , NEVER ever criticise your competitors products, just concentrate on what you are selling.
If you are the only supplier of a product ( as Daler were in 1970s) don't get complacent and give others an opportunity.

It didn't take us long to discover another market called Picture Framing and we soon established COLOURMOUNT in this market
I subsequently took COLOURMOUNT in to 82 countries overseas and had the most wonderful job satisfaction, first finding, and then motivating new distributors around the globe.

I really should have thanked Jim Daler, and was about to many years ago when he put me down by saying " I now only travel First Class, I found business class so distracting with the rustle of newspapers

I did go and see the man in Torquay and he was most gracious in his compliments, about the way we launched COLOURMOUNT

I was told in middle of May that Daler were going to move their laminator, so this must be the cause of the present hiccup. Its not rocket science to build up stocks before moving the machine
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Daft move if you ask me! Their competitors must be rubbing their hand with glee and they won't miss the opportunity that's been handed to them!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Is there a rationale as to why Colourmount do not have bevelled edges on their sample chevrons, or is it just my set?
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Post by DaveJ »

Calm down Brother Muffinski you'll smudge your make up! :lol: :lol:
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Well Dave I have just snapped a heel!
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

I feel your pain, I've stopped wearing mine to work. I tried to fix mine with the underpinner but it didn't go well. My pink Jimmy Choos, runined!
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

:lol:
DaveJ

Post by DaveJ »

:D
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Shouldn't the previous 4 posts be either on a mobile phone, Whatsapp or Viber :o
Or simply deleted
Or am I becoming a GOM :?:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I have always found Daler a real PITA to deal with, always 10+ days delivery times, I always thought they prioritised education business and art shops first before picture framing, pretty sure a rep of theirs told me that years ago. We do a lot of trade work with a couple of their boards, looks like I'm going to have to source from somebody else, for the mounts we produce are very intricate and Daler board seems great as the core seems dense , just want we need for cutting these mounts
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Now they have increased price by 20% which is basically increased price from £4 to £5, there are now cheaper options or others at the same price. I was initally attracted by the price.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

My understanding is that people did deal directly with Daler and that Daler had different types of deals with different businesses etc, I believe this will all stop and that prices will increase for everyone unless your buying by the pallet load.

On a side note no rationale as to why colourmount chevons are not bevell cut,having spoken with Salter Harrison direct. I guess its to do with cost, shame as they do not look as good when using them with a customer.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You can always cut bevels on your set of chevrons, if you really want to! It's only two cuts and not rocket science to do either, but for myself, I would not want to do a whole set in one go. Probably less boring to do them in batches spread out over a few days.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I always cut my own chevrons, that way they are always current to the stock , also I find that all the whites and light colours need replacing regularly due to getting dirty
Steve CEO GCF (020)

JoeB
Organisation: Niche Frames Europe Ltd
Interests: Framing, Giclee

Post by JoeB »

Daler-Rowney have moved warehouse and are not delivering as normal. The conversation I had with a member of the phone team was they could not and would not prioritise any company and if I wanted to move suppliers I was welcome to.
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

I saw on Face Book yesterday that there is an interview with one of their boss chaps in the latest Guilds Magazine, not a member so have not read it, need a kick up the old (blank) :giggle:
Steve CEO GCF (020)