Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

By appiontmnt only

Post by poliopete »

Just wondering what people think of a "framing by appointment" only system. :?

Anyone tried or operates this way of working? :?:

I look forward to hearing from anyone with an opinion. :D

Peter
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: By appiontmnt only

Post by GeoSpectrum »

It depends on your situation. If you are located where the general public might expect to be able to drop in unannounced then no, if you are in a more remote location then then yes I think it works. It has the benefit that if they make an appointment chances are they will buy something.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Re: By appiontmnt only

Post by prospero »

If people ring to ask my opening hours I generally say, "What time can you get here?". :giggle:

I've had a shop-front location for more than 30 years and at one time I did keep opening hours, but if
you are a one-man-band and you have to go out for whatever reason then you just have to shut up and
beggar off. Of course 10 seconds after you go out somebody will decide to visit. I'm sure they wait around
the corner to see you leave so that they can have a whinge about you "never being open".
The last few years I have come to thinking that the 9-5 casual drop-in system is not always the best thing
for everybody.

Long story short - I stick a notice on the front door to tell people to do round the side of the building and
ring the doorbell. They can do this anytime. They might not get an answer but they can ring it. :lol:

A lot of things have changed since the time I started. (1982). Mobiles were a novelty if at all. PCs ? Thin on
the ground. I remember a snippet on the local paper about that time about a local firm who had "Gone on the internet". :P
Not started a website you understand but just got a connection. That was deemed newsworthy in these parts.
So, no mobiles thus no txting and e-mail was considered sci-fi. No excuse nowadays for non-communication.

So to sum up, this system works for me on many levels. I don't have to sit in like a lemon all day. If someone can't
be arsed to walk around the corner and ring the bell then they weren't really bovvered in the first place. It's an
excellent tyre-kicker and time-vampire filter. Often if I'm away I'm only a couple of minutes distant, so a quick
call will summon me to attend.

I think nowadays you have to get away from the 'shop' concept. Obviously everybody has a different setup, but for
a pure bespoke framing service it works. I can organise my time more efficiently and devote greater attention to
the individual customer. I don't do 'appointments' as such. Mostly people have got to know my habits and will ring/txt
before making a special journey. Mostly they ask "will you be in this afternoon?". All a bit ad hoccy. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About