Show dates in 2018 - USA and Bologna

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Show dates in 2018 - USA and Bologna

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Have been asked about the Bologna show next year.
Apparently the website still showing only the 2017 show - no info about the 2018 dates.

Firstly allow me to explain the huge differences between these 2 shows

USA show in Las Vegas is primarily for framers. The draw is the over 100 seminars, given by industry experts on just about every subject to do with framing, plus marketing, internet, ....plus some you might not expect. Then there is the show itself with all the major mfgs and USA distributors. I recon on doing the whole trip for under £1000. That's 4 nights + leave late on he Wed. Or stay a few extra days and visit The Hoover Dam, The Grand Canyon etc.
The dates are Jan 21st - 24th www.wcafexpo.com << good website - much info.

BOLOGNA show is March 2nd - 4th called Fammart . This is primarily a show for distributors, from all over the world to buy mouldings and see machinery they might stock - Morso, Gunnar, Valiani, Cassese, Tru-Vue , plus mount boards etc. Quite a few European framers come to this show, and whilst it maybe interesting to see all the new mouldings on display, you have to wait until your local distributors has them in stock.
Website is http://www.famaart.it/home-page/2070.html Sadly and no surprises its still showing the 2017 show. Not even any dates for 2018.

The take home message is if you are a framer you will learn so much more from a trip to WCAF in Vegas, and take some classes, than looking at mouldings you cant buy in Bologna. In my opinion, every framer should go once to WCAF show. It will blow your mind, and you will come back buzzing
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Re: Show dates in 2018 - USA and Bologna

Post by Trinity »

If you've time Keith, can you please provide some logistics/details on your £1000.
Thanks
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

For sure :D
I book with www.expedia.com
Best if you ask for flights and hotel option
I fly from Manchester via PHI and then to Las Vegas.
Personally I prefer this as both legs are similar, so gives you a break of an hour or 90 mins in PHI to have a drink, study the artwork at the airport, and find the next gate.
So my trip will be
OUT dep 10:35 - 18:04 into Vegas
RETURN 11:49 - 08:45 ( the next morning )..... there is a much later flight in the evening with BA, giving you almost 1 extra day at the WCAF show,
4 nights at Platinum
Total GBP 978.
On the website you first choose your flights, from a vast selection, then it takes you to all the hotels and you choose that.
Click and pay - its a doddle.
The show is held at Paris, which personally I dislike - 100's of slot machines and no windows + often queues . dry air.
But hey - its Vegas ... what did you expect.
I choose Platinum suites - 10mins walk away, no gambling, no queues, bigger rooms, nice lounge, spa bath, kitchen :coffee: , 2 TV's , nice balcony, and a freezing :shock: swimming pool. :ninja:
If you are traveling as a couple, should be less than a grand each.
Hope this helps.
Keith Hewitt
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We went in January this year and it was well worth the trip the education is amazing, the trade show will make you green with envy and the social side meeting framers from around the world is brilliant.

We went as a couple, doing totally separate classes each session to maximise the benefit. The cost of classes will of course add to the budget Keith has put forward. There are some free classes but it is worth paying for those that really interest you. There are 2 types of passes you can buy that allow you access to different class groups without additional cost or you can just sign up and pay separately for the ones you want if they are split across the groups. It is all done online in advance and is very easy to do.

We more that blew Keith's suggested budget. We flew BA direct Heathrow to Las Vegas, and had the extra leg room of Premium Economy; we travelled Friday to Friday (landed back Saturday) so had a longer stay and stayed in the Paris. We also did a trip to the Grand Canyon on the Thursday which was worth every cent we paid for it (Pink Jeep Tours to the South Rim). So we splurged a bit but it was so worth it. Food and drink in the hotels isn't cheap but there are plenty of places to choose from to save a bit if you need to.

If you book the hotel through the WCAF website you don't pay the resort fee which saves quite a bit every day and if you look at flights early you'll get a much better deal. A lot of the framers we met were staying in other hotels and had got late deals, just always look out for the resort fee. A couple we met at the airport were hit with that at the end of their stay at the Bellagio and had total sticker shock over it.

We will go again in the next few years - it is a great experience.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

PRICE COMPARISONS :clap:
I've done some searching to save everyone the hassle, based on 4 nights

Expedia ( this is from Manchester ) asking for separate prices for flight then for hotel
Flight only £ 492
Plus Paris hotel £698
Total £ 1190 <<<< if flight and hotel booked together then total would be £ 978, so clearly much better to ALWAYS book your flights and hotel at same time.

Flight only £492
Plus Paris hotel ( booked through WCAF show link) £ 491
Total £983
RESORT FEES - explanation. Its an annoying extra that has to be paid by everyone - after a few visits you just accept it!
Joe says No resort fee if booked through WCAF show link. But I've just looked and it does say Resort fees are USD 158 for 4 nights.
I would personally book the whole trip through Expedia or similar . Its one website - very simple to navigate. And £ 5 cheaper :D

At the end of the day - its not a cost.. its an investment . And I assume for UK framers a legitimate business expense. :yes:
Keith Hewitt
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Hi Keith

They may have changed it for this year, but certainly for last year and previous years if you booked through the WCAF link then there were no resort fees to pay. Having said that you can get other deals that offset that saving so it is always worth looking around.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Thanks very much Keith, that was very helpful.
I'd love to go, timing is difficult (well with my dear wife anyway) as I'm due to fly out to Pakistan the week after, it might just be pushing it.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.