BONDLOC wood adhesive

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

BONDLOC wood adhesive

Post by Steve N »

Anybody using this wood adhesive, the last 2 bottles I have had have gone like thick blancmange within about 10 days, if you hold the bottle upside down it will not move, and it smell terrible , just wondering if anybody having the same trouble.
Going to B&Q on the way home to get some good old EvoStick wood glue
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: BONDLOC wood adhesive

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Steve,

It sound like your experiences with this adhesive are enough reason for the rest of us to avoid trying it. I've been using standard woodworking PVA glue for all the time that I have been a framer and have need seen any reason to try any other product, particularly since PVA not only works well, but also almost all of the alternative products cost more than good old PVA.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

hi Mark

I been using it for a couple of years now with no problem, so I'm wondering if it's a batch problem, anyway went to B&Q last night (10% discount day for over 60's) and got some good old EvoStick pva , works a treat
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I use either titebond or gorilla glue. Both excellent and I use for joinery jobs as well as framing.

Thanks for advice on bondloc. Will certainly avoid.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I used to use titebond until I did some strength tests, I found evostick was significantly stronger.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If you are referring to Evo-Stick wood glue it always used to be a thick version of PVA glue. I use another brand of PVA wood glue, beware of universal PVA glues, or builders PVA as they may be a much thinner (diluted) version which is less strong than the thicker wood working PVA.

I have heard good things said about both Titebond and Gorilla glue and although I have not tried these brands myself, I would suggest that there's no harm in buying a small bottle to try either one of these, if you are not happy with what ever glue you are currently using.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer