Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Photo printing

Post by Ed209 »

I work from home in a room in my house but am currently converting my garage to use as the customer reception area and have my samples etc.

We are a good location near to a couple of local shops and have very good on street parking available.

I have recently had a few enquiries about and have had the need to scan and copy some customers photos and certificates.
Just wondering if this would be a viable addition to the framing and what is the best equipment (not unlimited budget)

There is no where near by that offers this service.
And also thought may generate framing business by encouraging people to have pictures on their phones printed and framed.

Thanks Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamesnkr

Re: Photo printing

Post by Jamesnkr »

I have no idea... but perhaps it's worth buying in the scanner, but outsourcing the printing. You can just email them over and they'll post them back and you can frame them. You're not trying to compete with a pro photo-printing outfit - presumably.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Having a few extra strings to your bow is generally a good idea for a successful business. :D

But you have to invest in new equipment it has to earn it's keep. Spending £1000s on kit that you use only now and
then makes no sense. And, if you are a one-man band you can't be doing everything at the same time.

I've seen framers do this in the past. They offer engraving, restoration, printed mugs and T-shirts. Even key-cutting.
On the whole these enterprises did not thrive. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

prospero wrote:Spending £1000s
Think you might have lost a 'nought' down the back of your sofa there...
Glimpse

Post by Glimpse »

It's something I do a lot, I'm a graphic designer by trade so do a lot of photo restoration, colour correcting etc. It's a big part of my business and you needn't spend a fortune on equipment.

If you have a reasonably powerful PC, you can get away with Photoshop Elements for most stuff. A decent mid-range scanner like an Espon Perfection V550 will cost around £170 and is a very capable machine.

I outsource all my printing - I batch everything together and A1 giclées printed once or twice a week. Works out around 15 quid a sheet which could cover up to 10 jobs.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Jamesnkr wrote:
Think you might have lost a 'nought' down the back of your sofa there...
The 's' will find it. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

From time to time, I take in photo restoration work. I don't do this myself, but get it done at a photo lab about 10 miles away. They do a good job and their charges are reasonable. I can't say that the volume of work that I get from this is anything particular, or that I get a massive amount of profit from the photo aspects of the work, but at least I get some extra framing work out of this.

I don't really want to commit much of my own time to digital restoration and the photo lab output the finished result to mini lab machine which produces a real photographic print. I'm not really sure how to advise you about this as you may get more work from this than I do and any return on your initial investment will depend upon the volume of work that you are able to generate.

A good start may be to work out how much money it will need to get you set up and to try and ascertain how much demand there will be for such a service within your location. If you can get the right deal from a photo lab, maybe it will be a smart move to sub contract the actual work to an outside company and just add your margin on top.

Being able to scan photographs at your location would give you the possibility of using an on-line photo processing service and receiving the finished work by post. I think you need to do the sums and see which approach is going to work for you. Perhaps try an on-line provider with one of your own photos, so you know what to expect before you launch your service. I hope that this works out well for you.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Pro-Am
Organisation: Pro-Am
Interests: Running after 2 year old daughter, no time for anything else.

Post by Pro-Am »

We started as a photo lab then moved into framing as a natural extension to our business.
Copying photos and slides is a significant part of our revenue stream, especially the slides, its not uncommon for someone to walk in with a 1000 plus slides to scan. It takes time, but can be highly profitable as there are virtually no materials involved, only your time. You don't need to worry too much about the printing just offer them a CD or USB of the scans and they can take these to any lab to get them printed.
A good slide scanner does cost a fair bit, however if your the only person around offering the service you would be surprised how many people have slides hidden away in their loft.