PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
artframer
Organisation: None yet
Interests: Learning all about framing

Terminology: liner

Post by artframer »

Hi.

Reading-up on this forum is fantastic. Such a wealth of experience and expertise. My only problem is that I'm still learning the lingo and like any industry, framing has its own.

I've just learned for example: that frames are 'stacked' when more than one moulding is put together to look like one; that v-nails are also called wedges... it explained why my searches weren't finding them on some suppliers websites and that points are also pins.

What I'm curious about at the moment (and there doesn't seem to be a part of this forum for terminology) is the word 'liner'. I've encountered it twice so far, in the phrases: 1) "canvas-wrapped liners" and 2) "a frame with a wide liner". What are these and are they the same thing? I think from what I've read it's different to lining a frame where you tape the inside edge... ( :roll: not 100% sure I'm right lining a frame is that).

Thanks in advance to any kind soul willing to shine a light.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Terminology: liner

Post by Rainbow »

I'll leave it to an expert to define "liner" but if you're in the dark about any other terminology, you might find an explanation in The Framing Oracle. See the box near the top of the left hand column of this forum - if you click the box, it will take you to some good resources including a Terminology section.
artframer

Post by artframer »

Thanks Rainbow. I'd assumed the graphic "The framing oracle" was the header for the items listed below it, for some reason :Slap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

OK. Liners. These are mouldings that typically go between a frame and a painting done on a canvas or only substrate
(usually one that has no glass). From an aesthetic point of view it provides a visual step between the art and frame, much
the same way that a mount (US mat) does for a glazed picture (watercolour?). I use loads of 1" bevelled liner painted ivory.
Now it gets a tad complicated. There is a entity called a 'slip'. This is a flat piece that has no rebate. Mainly with a coved
edge but can also be bevelled or quarter rounded (bull-nose). Liners are often called slips and vice-versa. :roll: Slips were
principally used as glass spacers. They 'slip' in between glass and a mounted picture where a mount(mat) is not used.

I should mention at this point that this is just the gospel according to me. :lol: Call things whatever is comfortable. It's a free
country and the nomenclature police will not come down on you. :P

Now it gets even more confused. A fillet is a little moulding that is much like a slip. But it has a raised section on the top edge.
Like a 4 on its back. It's not a slip and it's not a liner. Used in a similar way inside a frame but must be located more accurately
as the edge of the raised part must run in register with the inner (sight) edge of the frame. It is usually permanently fixed. Slips
and liners are generally not. Fillets are handy for extending the rebate width or adding a gold accent to a brown wood frame.
They are also widely used to edge mount(mat) bevels. Fillets are often called slips. Another thing is a spacer. Mostly just a square
piece to separate glass/art. You could say that a spacer is a technically a slip but it usually is not visible from the front.
Suppliers in their catalogues often call fillets slips and spacers fillets. In my philosophy anyway.
It's often a case of ' I hear what you say but I know what you mean'.
I knew one chap who called slip/fillets/liners/spacers 'Stretchers'. :roll:

btw. If a liner is wider than the moulding it is inside of, it is technically a 'Panel'. :Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
artframer

Post by artframer »

Prospero - much appreciated. Complete and thorough explanation which has clarified a great deal.

I was introduced to slips and fillets when being taught. The definition for a slip I was given was that it 'slipped between the frame and the artwork and sometimes there might be glass in the equation either above or below the slip. If the glass is above it, between the slip and the frame, then the slip is performing the task of a spacer, though spacers are designed not to be seen where slips are designed to be seen'. As you say: "call things whatever is comfortable" and I find the above really logical (to me). It's the same and very particular style of moulding you're buying whatever function the slip is performing (purely decorative or practical and decorative)... if you follow.

Framing is really a very creative activity - I'd not realised how much so, before beginning this journey (and I doubt the frame buying public appreciate it either). It seems to me that it's the creativity that is why the terminology is.... 'creative' too.

The important thing about understanding the lingo, is understanding the different ways the same thing is referred to or talked about and I'm much better informed now thanks to your good self, Prospero. Conversations in this forum will be more informative because I'll understand this now. Thank you for taking the time.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Glad you found that useful. :D

There are even more ambiguous terms when it comes to descriptions of mouldings and their various components.

The names are mostly derived from architectural forms. You don't really need to learn all those but they are interesting
and sound better than saying "the knobbly bit on the inside". :giggle:

My favourite one is "Quirk". :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About