Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Items with no visible means of support

Post by JFeig »

There have been many conversations over the years where the client does not want to see any visible means of support for a 3-D object or work of art. Thus, I am proposing this conservation regarding the subject of ---- Why is this practice not acceptable for a picture frame shop client; while it is perfectly acceptable in a museum to have mounting mechanical widgets visible?

Personally, I feel that there is nothing wrong with seeing small inconspicuous mounts and or clear acrylic mounts. Mounts are designed via engineering to overcome the rules of gravity, expansion and contraction, etc.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Items with no visible means of support

Post by pramsay13 »

If it's possible to support an object using hidden means they can have it.
If it's not they can't.
Here's a frame I was asked to frame, but it was going to be tricky to support as the frame was crumbling and unstable.
I decided to use canvas offsets and the customer was delighted.
Attachments
08.jpg
08.jpg (311.28 KiB) Viewed 5196 times
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Done with soldered brass rod - minimal visibility
DSCN0009.JPG
DSCN0009.JPG (410.67 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
DSCN0012.JPG
DSCN0012.JPG (406.13 KiB) Viewed 5141 times
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

JFeig wrote:There have been many conversations over the years where the client does not want to see any visible means of support for a 3-D object or work of art. Why is this practice not acceptable for a picture frame shop client; while it is perfectly acceptable in a museum to have mounting mechanical widgets visible?
Because when your customer goes into a museum they *think* they can't see any means of support because the *know* it is a museum and that a museum will have had things done to the highest specification possible. So they don't see the supports, so they want at home exactly the same as they saw in the museum.

Just a theory.
prospero

Post by prospero »

When it comes to museum displays they tend to be horizontal cases. Or shelves in cabinets. They don't tend to do 'frames' as such.
Much easier to mount say a heavy chunk of rock if you can lay it flat on a cushioned support. It isn't going to go anywhere.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I used to mount various items to appear to be floating in mid air, I've even framed some things with a space and a mirror behind the item, which really get people wondering, especially if the item is set back from a mount which is obviously further forward than the item.

However, I have not done anything like that since before the 2008 credit crunch. There's a limit to what many people are willing to spend these days and no matter has interesting the effect may look, to justify the extra cost is another matter.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
span2iels
Organisation: Harlequin Frames
Interests: Rugby Union, Bridge, allotment.

Post by span2iels »

You may well be aware now of my interest in Arabic/Islamic artwork and geometry. Bought this item of artwork along with a second similar item in the Grand Bazaar Istanbul several years ago. As the artwork has possibly Persian script on both sides I wanted to float it so as you could see both sides. I encapsulated it between two sheets of Mylar but the static was insufficient to hold it in place so I used a small amount of starch past to secure it position applied using the male part of velcro - hence small dots of paste. The mounting etc was done for an article in Arqadia's 4Walls but I shall remount the artwork in a more traditional Arabic/Islamic style.

I have used this method of support on a number of occasions when a customer wishes too see both sides of the artwork. Its relatively simple when one gets the hang of it.
Attachments
Noah's ark.  Egg Tempera and earth pigments on old manuscript possibly Persian
Noah's ark. Egg Tempera and earth pigments on old manuscript possibly Persian
Framed Rectro Final.png (3.13 MiB) Viewed 5008 times
Mal Reynolds GCF(APF) Adv
Bespoke Picture Framing and Custom Mount Cutting
International Lecturer and Trainer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Personally I don't regard melinex encapsulation as being 'no visible means of support', I regard it as 'hidden behind something very shiny and somewhat less than flat.' Personally I find it rather distracting and would rather have a visible - but not distracting - means of support.
Skinnymarinky
Organisation: Zinc White
Interests: Painting, Drawing, Sailing, Cycling, Re-using old materials - creatively.

Post by Skinnymarinky »

How about this?
AR glass on the front, 3mm acrylic on the back.
Attachments
Skateboard.png
Skateboard.png (367.07 KiB) Viewed 4903 times