Bifurcated pins for mounting complete newspapers.

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
christopher777
Organisation: The Newspaper Framer
Interests: Picture Framing, Cycling. Walking

Bifurcated pins for mounting complete newspapers.

Post by christopher777 »

Hello All,
I am trying to locate bifurcated pins with a perspex washer. The pin should is the same size as a normal needlework pin and needs to split in two (the bifurcated bit) and the perspex washer (with central hole) needs to be 12 to 15mm in diameter and .5 to .75mm thick.

I need this for is to mount whole newspapers using the washer as a compression for the newspaper against the mount board. The pin would penetrate the newspaper and mount board. I would use 4-5 pins with perspex type washers to mount the paper.

I have recently been talking to someone who has encountered these pins but cannot remember the supplier.

Has anyone used..or is familiar with such pins?

Thanks,
Chris.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Bifurcated pins for mounting complete newspapers.

Post by JFeig »

Acrylic rods in half-round are a standard shape. Simply use 2 half-round rods after chamfering the sharp edges. Use o-rings to compress the rods together.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If you are describing what I think you are, there was a document binding system based on something like this, but it was used in archival libraries. One company I used to work for used to bind documents and publications using this system. This back cover of the binder was rigid, but the front cover had a fold pressed into it so that it could be bent to expose the documents, or publications bound in the folder.

I had not seen anything bound using this systen since the mid 1970's. I've no idea what the system was called and don't if the system is still used, or not. After thinking about it I think that the name Rexel may have had something to do with it, but it was a long time ago and I could easily be wrong about this.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
christopher777
Organisation: The Newspaper Framer
Interests: Picture Framing, Cycling. Walking

Post by christopher777 »

Thanks for the replies...Its actually 'bifracated' pins... apologies for error.
The system I have described is available...with a perspex washer, does anyone know of this system?
Also, I understand the principle of using the half round acrylic rods...but how would this work as a framing solution as there is limited space.

Thanks.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It the rivet in the link long enough? Allowing for the thickness of the washer and the thickness of the newspaper and then opening out the split part of the rivet, I thinking maybe not. I don't know where these rivets are made these days, in my engineering days there was a company called "Tucker eyelets" somewhere in, or around Birmingham. I haven't heard of them for years and would be surprised if they are still around.

The slightly rounded head of the rivet certainly makes for a neat presentation. I can't say that I've ever come across perspex washers. Nylon washers are quite easy to come by, but I'm not sure that they are particularly the material of choice from a conservation perspective.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

christopher777 wrote:Thanks for the replies...Its actually 'bifracated' pins... apologies for error.
I think you were right the first time - it's bifurcated. I've never heard of bifracated and neither has the great dictionary in the sky, ie Google.

I use bifurcated rivets similar to those in the ukframingsupplies link. If they're the same, I think they would be too strong/rigid for newspapers, and too short for your purpose.

I can't quite picture what you want - is it something similar to these http://www.staples.co.uk/search?x=0&y=0 ... 4294944790, although you would have to buy the washers separately.