Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
flypitcher
Organisation: can you feel it ltd
Interests: chess

chop services

Post by flypitcher »

Sorry should have made this a subject but asked another poster.

Regarding chop services can we take a straw poll on who currently provides the best service.
In terms of quality,speed and price.
Lion, Wessex, Arquadia et all.

thanks in advance.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: chop services

Post by YPF »

I have taken chop from Lion, Arqadia, Ashworth and Thompson and NielsenBainbridge. All have provided what I expect, accurate cut length and joining without any Mitre gaps.

In terms of price, I don’t really worry too much about that as pricing software takes care of that.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

YPF wrote:In terms of price, I don’t really worry too much about that as pricing software takes care of that.
If you save money on an order by being clever, do you keep the profit or do you give twice the amount to your customer? (On the assumption that you recharge your costs to your customer at twice what they cost you.)
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We've used Arqadia, Frinton, Nielsen and Lion for chop on a mix of wood and metal frames. Arqadia do Hoffman routing as an extra cost option which is very useful. All of them are easy to use, normally a pretty quick turnaround and usually very good quality. There are occasional issues but they are sorted out without any hassle and replacements sent very quickly. We found the slowest service was from Frinton but we've only used them for chop a few times and we may have hit a busy period.

As for pricing, as I'm sure YPF also does, our pricing software gives us a chop price option on every moulding you can buy chop so it is doing all the calculations for us - taking into account the steps we will still need to do and the steps we don't because it is cut for us. It also takes into account the higher cost of the moulding because it is being bought at the chop price.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

I’m not going to discuss my pricing strategy on an open forum. The point I tried to make was that my pricing software will adjust the final price relative to the cost and labour involved whether I cut the frame from length or buy a chop. Similar response from a Tudor Rose.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I've only used Arqadia for chop when the moulding has been bit big for my morso.
Very happy with speed, service and price.