PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Mount terminology

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Hi!

I'm trying to make sure all the (non-framer) staff here are using the same language when we take in orders.

Looking to see if everyone uses the same terminology (more or less).

[*] A mount which overlaps the edges of the picture I'd call a window mount

[*] If I use a hedgehog mount to mount a picture straight to a piece of mount board, I'd call that a surface mount

[*] if I do the same thing but mount it to a bit of foam core board first, I'd call that a float mount

[*] Is there a term for something which is (what I call) surface mounted and then has a window mount around the outside of it, say 10mm away from the edge?

Any other types of mount that people can think of? I'm trying to put together a list, which will hopefully turn in to well labelled examples behind the desk.

Cheers,

andrew
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

prospero

Re: Mount terminology

Post by prospero »

I think everyone has their own personal terminology when it comes to framing. :lol:

As long as you all understand each other. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Mount terminology

Post by pramsay13 »

What you call surface mounting I would call float mounting either straight onto mountboard or on top of foamboard.
I don't have a term for having a window mount around the outside as I would simply demonstrate for customers if required.