Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Diffused glass

Post by Ed209 »

Do many of you get asked for diffused glass It seems all the rage round my area, I can only presume the old village framer offered it extensively.
They are definitely asking for diffused and not clear view as they normally state its only a couple of pounds more than standard 2mm float.
prospero

Re: Diffused glass

Post by prospero »

They can ask me for it but they do won't get it. :lol:

Honestly, this stuff has been superseded by the far superior coated glasses and really has no place in framing today.

Get (or make) a little demonstrator with Diffused/AR/Std and people will see the difference. :shock: :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
maguirei
Organisation: SGF
Interests: Music Music Music

Post by maguirei »

I will supply it if I'm specifically asked for it - but certainly won't recommend it. Sometimes people bring in pictures for reglazing and want the picture to look like the others on the wall - with AR glass they wouldn't (i.e. because they'd actually be able to see the artwork :D ).
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Photographers like diffused glass. I've been told this by a photographer, who informed my that diffused glass does not show the photographer's finger marks and therefore saves time.

I can't remember when I last used diffused glass, but it was a very long time ago.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thing is, it only works properly when pressed tight against the image. It also has a proclivity to hold condensation.
Diffused glass + photo + contact = stuck photo. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Personally I don't like the stuff - I made a little glass demo thing with 3 different types of glass, ordinary float, diffused & Clarity. If anyone asks for the diffused stuff I just show them my thingy (oh matron) - I've never had anyone not choose the Clarity stuff when shown the options.

Also, as stated it completely blurs the image if sat completely against it.

:)
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

From before I started here, we've always used plain glass and diffused NR glass. Used to get a lot of customers asking for it but recently not so much.

I hate the stuff. Hoping to phase it out and replace it with a better option (or options).
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter