best methods to mount a print on a backing card

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

best methods to mount a print on a backing card

Post by daveym »

I'm looking for the best method of mounting a permajet print on 240gsm matt paper onto backing card (500gsm). I contacted permajet directly with regards to sourcing the strongest bonding double sided tape and they have given me a link to a company. I'm just wondering if double sided tape is the best to use as I've come across something called Liquitex matte gel which is like a glue that you roll onto the surface of backing card and apply the print onto so as to get a full even amount of bond to the whole print. I'm slightly worried that the backing card could curl or mis-shape if this is applied.

It might sound a very simple question but can anyone recommend methods so as to keep the print in place over a long period of time and if using double sided tape should this just be applied all the way around edges and a few places across the centre of print and backing card? Once the print is applied to the backing card I need to cut both to a dimension of 230mm x 230mm so I just wanted to find the best way of keeping the print in place and perfectly flat.

thanks in advance for any help.
prospero

Re: best methods to mount a print on a backing card

Post by prospero »

Don't use double-sided tape!. :evil:

What does 500gsm equate to in therms of thickness?

The mounting board should be at least the strength and thickness of mountboard. Otherwise there is little point of doing it.

When you say 'Mounting', do you mean permanently sticking it down? If there isn't a very good reason for doing this it's best to hinge
it in the traditional manner.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

Liquitex matte gel is a multi purpose painting medium, I don't think mounting prints to a substrate is its intended primary use, so probably not the best first choice.

As Prospero said, double sided tape is not the thing to use.

A self adhesive mountboard would probably be the simplest solution.

But if you want the best solution then dry mounting or cold mounting would be the way to go.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

If a print needs to be mounted (putting aside the value of the print and all that) then you are always better off getting it done by someone with a vacuum or roller press. Having said that, 230 x 230mm is small enough to do it by hand. What you need is some of this and one of these and plenty of :muscle: It will stick down really well and stay stuck with plenty off pressure from the brayer roller. Practise first before mounting your print.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

David McCormack wrote:If a print needs to be mounted (putting aside the value of the print and all that) then you are always better off getting it done by someone with a vacuum or roller press. Having said that, 230 x 230mm is small enough to do it by hand. What you need is some of this and one of these and plenty of :muscle: It will stick down really well and stay stuck with plenty off pressure from the brayer roller. Practise first before mounting your print.

Totally agree and as a side note I'll add that the Arqadia Fastmount board is especially good at bonding items that are of a particular value, have no place been anywhere near it, but yet somehow accidentally comes in contact adhering said item with the strength of Geoff Capes Vs a vegan butterfly with an eye patch and a missing wing - all within 1000th of a nanosecond.