How's business for you then this summer?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ComeOnYouReds!
Organisation: Our house
Interests: Trying to get it right first time.

How's business for you then this summer?

Post by ComeOnYouReds! »

I'm finding that apart from my regulars, mainly contract-type customers, new bespoke orders are very hard to come by. I'm putting it down to general lethargy, shortage of money, the world cup and now summer holidays.
I'm absolutely sure that some of you out there will say you've never had it so good but is that the case all over?
Should we be worried or not because drops in workload happen at any time but usually when we least want them.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: How's business for you then this summer?

Post by GeoSpectrum »

My business had dropped off a bit but it normally does about now, I've still got plenty to see me through but most of customers are out painting not framing or preparing for shows. It all kicks off again at the end of August. I could do with about 20% less work as most of the time it's a rush to get jobs done in a reasonable amount of time but musent grumble, 5 years agin I could make a frame or cut a mount.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I probably have enough work to last me to September, but I'm struggling for enough space to work. I've just got the keys for my new shop today, but the previous tenant is still trying to get her stuff out of the shop. I'm guessing that finding enough working space might take a little while, but there's not much I can do about that right now.

I would say that it's been a bit of a funny start to the year. I usually find that January and February are a bit dead, but this year they were amazing. Unfortunately I was needed to have a good sort out during this time, but never got the chance. I'm still waiting to have that clear out, but it will have to wait until after I'm in my new shop.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

My supplier in Wales and a South West rep have both said that the last few months have been generally quiet.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

We are really busy, working evenings and weekends to keep up, but this may be helped by several shops closing near me. I have had a lot of customers phoning saying "i always used xxxx and know you are my nearest framer".

I think there are 4 shops within 15 miles closed in the last year, so my business is benefiting as a result.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.