sealer or varnish?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

sealer or varnish?

Post by daveym »

I have 2 different projects regarding my prints and wondered if there is something I can use for both ratherthan purchase 2 different items.

I'm looking for a good UV matt varnish to protect my prints which I am framing in a 3D frame and I keep reading that most end upcurling the paper so my prints won't look right in a 3D frame if the print is set away from the glass. I don't want a spray on type only paint on variety.

Secondly I am needing a sealer or varnish that can waterproof my prints as some are being placed onto indoor wood signs and over time the sign may become dirty and need to be wiped down with a wet cloth. Is there anything that can protect paper from water so it doesn't end up becoming a load of mush and rubbing off the wood, say if there was excess water used. Again I'm looking for a matt variety.

thanks in advance.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: sealer or varnish?

Post by Justintime »

Have a look at Drytac lamination, they have matt, 99%uv I think. I don't know, about waterproof.
I've never heard of varnishing a photograph...
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: sealer or varnish?

Post by David McCormack »

I would go with Justintime's idea and get your prints matt laminated but you will need to get this done for you if you don't have the equipment. Laminating film is available as heat activated or pressure sensitive.

You can varnish a photograph (inkjet print that is) by hand using the same varnish you would apply to an inkjet canvas. Best applied by roller and works best on matt textured paper. The varnish should provide enough protection from a damp cloth for cleaning. As far as UV protection goes, a varnish claiming UV protection usually means the varnish itself is protected from the harmful effect of UV (yellowing and cracking) and not necessarily the print. Print varnish is available in matt but it is not really a dead matt.

Plenty of products out there, just googly 'inkjet print varnish'. Two that come to mind are Permajet and Timeless.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/