Background colours for moulding chevron display boards

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Background colours for moulding chevron display boards

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm looking into taking down a partion wall in my shop, which was created by the previous tenant. This will effectively create an approimately 5ft square alcove where I would cover all three walls with moulding chevrons.

I don't plan to use velcro fabric, or anything like that, so the wall boards will be painted and the moulding chevron will possibly hang from the vertical metal strip chevron display system offered by Lion, but at present my finances are a bit tight, so a cheaper alternative might be nice.

I am not as yet totally committed to the Lion system, so I am open to other suggestions, but the principle ideal is that the chevrons will automatically hang neatly in line above and below each other. Any suggestions regarding background paint colours, or hanging method will be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Background colours for moulding chevron display boards

Post by Justintime »

I looked at Lion's moulding chevron display strips and made a load up myself. They work reasonably well and allow you to take a whole section of moulding off the wall onto the design table.
The game is to see how many chevrons are still on the strip by the time you get to the table. :roll:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Rather than make boards, I just got a strip of PSE obeche and fixed it to the wall. You can get self-adhesive Velcro tape in
big rolls for not a lot of cash. It sticks well with a few staples as backup. The advantage is all the samples keep in a vertical line.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Still want the metals strips, with the snap in hooks. I like the idea that gravity will make everything line up perfectly every time. A nice smooth painted wall makes keeping it clean easy as well.

I see no one has mentioned background colour so far. I plan to board the walls with O.S.B. board and paint it. I have a large tub of B & Q exterior acrylic masonary paint and was considering using that, but was wondering if that was too bright.

It would not be much trouble to mix something into it to tone it down a little. I got some neutral grey acyrlic artists paint which could make it a very pale grey. Is grey still a particularly in colour?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Grey is in, but black is the commonly used colour isn't it? I think black is the most neutral colour when all of the various chevrons are shown against it.
IMO golds silvers colours et al look good against black, grey? not so sure. Hard to say without seeing your space and layout design and lighting.
If you want any lighting advice, Ive just been reading a few posts elsewhere from someone who teaches lighting for framing shops.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Framemaker Richard
Organisation: framemaker
Interests: Antique frames

Post by Framemaker Richard »

I did something similar to Prospero, screwed a load of strips of 18mm MDF to the wall which were painted the same colour as the wall and stuck velcro to the MDF, this was glued and stapled in place. Personally I like a light neutral wall colour for displaying samples... basically boring off white, which shows off most frames pretty well, is good for lighting, and is surely a very common wall colour in peoples homes as well.
Not your average framer

I've spoken to the owner of the interiors shop across the road and I think it's going to be a very pale grey, kind of like a very pale mist, almost white, but not quite.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

I use the Lion metal strip system and it works really well. It's very sturdy and makes the chevrons easy to take off and then put back. I made 3 panels which I covered in grey hessian and then screwed the metal strips onto. I have now added a 4th panel which I just painted light grey and this also looks just as good but was a lot less hassle to make.

Jules
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

NYAF I can't believe I didn't think of it before! What about the magnetic wall paint from Jewsons? I saw it used at the Hotpress/Drytac training space in Bristol. Anchor magnetics in Sheffield supply flexible magnets that can be cut up and stuck on.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer

I've already got one pack of the Lion strips, so I think I run with that. I just like the way everything hangs in line.

My thanks to everyone's suggestions.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer