Hayaku Hinging paper anyone ?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Hayaku Hinging paper anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi,
can anyone tell me where they buy Hayaku tape please, I use to get it from Lion but they don't stock anymore.
2018-07-20 15.41.09.jpg
2018-07-20 15.41.09.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1964 times
Thanks,
Adam / Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Hayaku Hinging paper anyone ?

Post by David McCormack »

Hello Adam,

as far as I understand (info from TFF and the Grumble) this tape has been discontinued. I think they had trouble with the gummed adhesive not being consistent and reliable. Just checked and it is no longer listed on the Lineco website.

They have a new Mulberry tape which is not gummed and requires you to make your own paste, a much better option in my opinion. Lion stock this new tape.

Making your own paste is not as convenient as pre gummed tape but a much better quality hinge. Methyl Cellulose paste is another option and doesn't require cooking but I have no experience of using this. I cook my wheat starch paste on a gas hob but it is even easier if you have a microwave!

I have sheets of Mulberry paper that I tear into hinges but this new Mulberry tape looks good and I may order some myself.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Re: Hayaku Hinging paper anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Thank you David for taking the time to reply, my heart sank when you said cooking your own wheat starch, i can just about manage a Pot Noodle in the kitchen..... :Slap:
Cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )