Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Buster
Organisation: DIY
Interests: Cycling, golf, art

Which underpinner?

Post by Buster »

I am looking into the possibility of buying a new underpinner (possibly Cassese CS20 if anyone has specific experience with one) and was looking for advice/opinion and maybe a bit of a poll on your ‘weapon of choice’? I am thinking around £2000 for a new or second hand machine. We curently use the Cassese CS89, most frames are under a 1000mm x 1000mm, with mouldings narrower than 120mm & we don’t build anything bigger than about 1800x1500. I have done lots of reading through the forum & also everywhere else on the interweb, but there’s surprisingly not a lot of recent info. I think I could get used to the operation of any brand..but am a bit of perfectionist about mitres (if anyone wants to start mitres anonymous :wink: )...
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Re: Which underpinner?

Post by Ed209 »

I went to D & J Simons & Sons with the intension of buying a CS20 but after trying that and the CS200 I bought the 200 You really need to see and try them both together.
The 200 was a lot more than I had budgeted for but I knew instinctively it was the right choice for me and so far I have no regrets with it, I just hope the ultra clamps never catch my finger because they are extremely powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

With regard to mitres I top am very fussy but even the Cs200 can’t compensate for some mouldings short comings and try as might I still get some I am not entirely happy with, but I learn a little each time, my mitres are generally ok on the angle join its the slight variation in height that trouble me but I think its certain mouldings rather than the underpinner or learning how to overcome the problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buster
Organisation: DIY
Interests: Cycling, golf, art

Post by Buster »

I think it would be interesting to know if there’s a consensus on Underpinners, so even you don’t want to say your experience, people could just state their machine.
I’m finding that too Ed’, twists mostly, but just yesterday I needed to make two frames exactly the same, so I thought it would make sense to cut the 4 long sides first, but the second length was slightly smaller in height..not ideal.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The way to compensate for varying heights on mouldings is to check first and the shim up the low side with
a bit of paper/card cut at 45º. Low-tech, but it works. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About