Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Multiple apitures

Post by Ed209 »

Have had a job come in they want 12 random sized family photos mounted and framed overall size TBA but looks like its going to be around 700 mm Sq.
I only have a Keencut and have cut out nine apertures in the past successfully (was one of my very first jobs) but this lot is doing my head in so am planning on sending it to someone with a CMC is there software that can work out the positioning and apitures and what is the process to give it the information to do so.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Multiple apitures

Post by poliopete »

Hi Paul :D '

That type of mount cutting is right up my street :lol: I love it. Give me a pile of random photo's or fifty ciggy' cards that run vertically and horizontally and I am as happy as the proverbial pig in - :giggle:

If only I was nearer you would not need someone with a CMC

That's enough trumpet blowing for one day. I hope someone closer comes along and can help you.

Peter
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Is it the actual layout of the 12 (presumably) different size prints that is giving you grief or the prospect of cutting the apertures on your keencut?
If its the latter then maybe I can help out with some tips.
I now use a Valiani Matpro and have'nt used my keencut for maybe 3 years or more but I used to do lots, and I mean lots of multi aperture mounts on the keencut. The basic problem is that you need to be able to measure a margin far greater than the normal margin guide will allow and the way around this is to measure or reference the cut from the other, ie RHS of the mount. The other alternative is to pencil in all the cuts by hand.

Using the squaring arm which has a scale for measuring to the straight cut blade, add another scale on the edge which will give a measurement to the bevel cut blade path. Be aware of the blade path position, I think I initially used a trimmed down Ikea paper tape measure stuck down onto the edge of the squaring arm. Its a bit hazy now but I do have access to my old keencut and can take a pic to show what I mean. Once you have this in place you only need a dimensioned sketch of the mounts but detailing the cutting margin from the rhs of the mount for all but the LHS of the apertures immediately on the left side of the mount.

If this does not make any sense put it down to the late hour and a brace of (famous) grouse
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've done a few of these and generally they are 90% thinking and 10% doing. Lay them out and shuffle them to arrive at
a pleasing arrangement. I usually marked out the back in pencil (remembering to reverse if not symetrical) and cut the windows
on a manual cutter. Forget start/end stops. You have to eyeball it. As long as you keep the window side under the cutter bar you
won't get an accidental reverse bevel. It's like sex and cake icing - you have to bloody concentrate. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

What's Sex? :D
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's like icing a cake but more messy. :roll: :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

could possibly help - i have a Gunnar.

Regards,

Graham
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I would do it for you as I have a cmc, but the Postage & Packing charge of a 70x70cm would be very high

If yo have done 9, well 12 is only 3 more, just lay the images on the bench, move them around t'l they look good, then mark out the back of the mountcard and cut them, learn to cut 'by eye' with out any stops or guides, once you have, then this type of work is as easy as fallying off a log :clap: :rock: :giggle: :sweating: :Slap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Ed209

Post by Ed209 »

Thanks for replies, suggestions, and offers of help I am on this occasion farming it out to Wessex FA. When I did the nine they were all the same size and uniform so relatively easy using the guide and finger stop on the Keencut If I had more time I would give it ago as I quite enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of doing things like this, Your probably all thinking the amount of time I have spent talking I could have done it by now [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Ed209 Wrote
" Your probably all thinking the amount of time I have spent talking I could have done it by now [emoji3]"

Yes! :giggle: :lol: :Slap: :nod:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

Yeah, I also love doing things like this.

12 isn't much tricker than 9 ;)

Glad you got it sorted though...
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter