Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Scalples

Post by Ed209 »

I am after buying a scalpel but there is a quite a few different chooses of blades and handles
I currently use my used Keencut blades to trim photos, posters etc. but looking for something a bit nicer to handle and more precise control.
Any recommendations please or alternative knifes.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Scalples

Post by Justintime »

I have a couple of Swan morton steel handles and a pack of 10A blades for precise cutting.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Same here. But I only have one handle. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Bobble
Organisation: Frameworks
Interests: Picture framing.

Re: Scalpels

Post by Bobble »

Uh-oh, am I the only one thinking of 'Trigger's' famous broom quote? (Could be Steve N, enter stage left).
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Same for me too, Swann-Morton with 10a and 11 blades. I also use a Stanley knife with retractable blade and locking wheel which is one of my favourite tools and I panic when I can't find it... I also have my name written on it and I work by myself :oops:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I too have a Swan-Morton with 10a blades but I mainly use utility knives. I have two red ones, one at each end of the bench. I change the blades frequently and when the blades are reversed mark the used end with a red tick from a Sharpie.

If I need to snick the corners of a small dropout from a window mount, because I tend to undercut these, I use the last single edge blade from the mount cutter. If I am cutting a larger mount window I tend to very slightly overcut ensuring the drop out comes away clean and does not tear the corners. I've had my Kimberly mount cutter for over forty years so just getting the hang of it :wink:
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Over half a dozen S&M handles with 10A's. Fresh loaded blades live in the cardboard box that razor blades come in (magnetic tape on the underside), on top of the JM44, middle of the production space. Lightly used loaded blades live just below, on the back of the JM44. In-action blades, on the 8x4 cutting table behind the JM44. Dead blades, on the tool table, at my back, when facing the cutting table, waiting to be safely put to bed.

Stanley knives (AKA utility AKA boxcutters), on the tool table / back pocket (only twice taken from said pocket, in the pub after work, thinking they were my wallet - landlord understood). Mostly used for cutting down boxes.

More handles get bought each time not quite at minimum order from Lion.

These, I wish I'd started buying years ago https://signgeer.com/sign-wrap-tools/cu ... -container.
Having said that, the various water bottles / DVD spindle packs, that we've filled with used sharps over the years, make excellent weights.

How does everyone else dispose of uncontaminated sharps?
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

These are my weapons of choice, the X-ACTO knife on the left has been with me for about 28 years, used for delicate work, the blades come from Lion, part number 490,
The other two are my day to day knives, used for most things, opening parcels, cutting up cardboard for the recycling, trimming posters and prints etc, using Stanley heavy duty blades
20190115_114744.jpg
20190115_114744.jpg (698.7 KiB) Viewed 3538 times
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
DEEPJOY
Organisation: inPicture Framing
Interests: Framing, Photography, Aircooled VW and time to be creative.

Post by DEEPJOY »

One thing is clear, you cannot compromise on the choice of blade manufacturer for quality irrespective of the knife style. This is an area you have to expect usually the more expensive the blade the better it is.