Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Re: Non-45 degree cuts on a Morso..

Post by cleaver »

Re. the bevel, I guess you could put a slip moulding in to 're-instate' it.

I agree about fashions; I reckon there's a Venn diagram or whatever to be done, regarding the direct correlation between how uber-fashionable certain things are, and how quickly/badly those things date. That applies to clothes, décor, pictures frames....pretty much everything!

When I watch a film from the 70s, 80s or even 90s, clothes often look much more dated than in films of the (say) the 1940s, where they generally wore pretty classic & timeless stuff (ignoring de-mob suits :lol: ).
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

This thread appears to have gone off-piste some-what:? from Non-45 degree cuts to using fabric in mount decoration. (Not that I'm complaining :D ) Because using fabric wrapped mounts has interested me for some time. In fact, I have had a few goes when time allows and have, in the main, been pleased with the results.

As Prospero sez, there is no call for it here and as a consequence obtaining suitable fabric is more problematic in the UK than across the pond.

One of the things I've discovered is when a shaped mount is required and is cut by hand because there is no CMC, small mistakes can happen. These small mistakes can be masked by the covering fabric :D another is by using fabric the design possibilities seem endless.

Fabric mounts may be the same as Wash Line mounts or Franch matting, if they are not offered then they are not sold. So as NYAF advocates, offering something like this, could make your framing business unique and a little different.
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Pete, I just helped my pal tidy up his upholstery shop, and we threw out half a skip of fabric sample books. I ended up placing them with schools/hobbyists - not down the tip!

Knew I'd regret not saving a few - but my poor Mrs puts up with all sorts of framing gear etc. so I didn't want to impose on her good nature any more.

Anyway, someone on ebay seems to sell fabric books...for not too much coin. Some of the ones we chucked had pretty decent-size swatches.....A2, in some cases.
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

These people seem to know what they're doing -
https://www.pureandapplied.co.uk/mounts ... se-partout
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have for the past year or so been replacing washline mounts in frames that I did back in the early'90s for
more 'modern looking' mounts. Also re-finishing the antiquey gold frames to streaky grey. Bit heartbreaking
to junk all that meticulous work, but have to admit it does spark the paintings up a bit. :D

Put in AR glass while I'm at it. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

"These people seem to know what they're doing" :rock:

I agree with you Vintage and thank you for the link. Examples of outstanding work and something to aspire to.

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Although you can produce some really amazing frames with to multi angled formats on a Morso, it's not really an efficient way of earning a living as it is very time consuming to get everything set right for the accuracy of both angle of cut and length. The measuring system on a Morso is for mouldings to be cut at the usual 45 degrees and does not allow for other angles. If you are really determined to use a Morso for this sort of work, it can be done, but there's a lot of issues that have to be allowed for. The blades will not necessarily produce a clean cut, because they will not be cutting closely to the fences at non 45 degree angles.

I have cut and joined frames like this using a Morso, including even stacked moulding frames just to see if it could be done, but it's not a particularly realistic way of trying to earn a living. Even once you have figured out how to do this, you will still need to some how adjust the fences to a suitable angle on the underpinner as well. I even made some wooden templates, that fitted inside the 90 degree fences on the underpinner, but then found that the available travel on the fences was extremely limited. I'm sorry to be so negative, but it will quicker and easier with a Nobex Proman 110 manual mitre saw. It's very hard working out how long a job like this will take, or what to charge for it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Perhaps this will be worth looking at:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=youtube+multi ... dB6vKQjKbk
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete

Post by poliopete »

Fascinating link Mark :D thank you. Reminded me of when I cut my frames with a" Copydex Joint Master" before I had my first Morso. After each cut, I needed to reverse the angle so after cutting all four sides of a frame I had four very small triangular pieces left over::?

Rather than waste these off-cuts I would glue them together to make a small/decorative square. These would then be displayed in my shop window and offered for sale as "drawer knobs" :giggle: can you believe I never sold any :(
Not your average framer

I'm thinking for some while of making a similar sled with adjustable fences to fit on top of my table saw. I like the easy way with which this sort of arrangement enables quite a few things to be done.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer