Papyrus

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
ross

Papyrus

Post by ross »

Had a customer come in today with 4 papyruses - wanted them floated between two pieces of glass - but how are they attached to the wall?

I don't like the concept of mounting papyruses between 2 pieces of glass - I don't know the processes for applying the inks etc to the papyrus and consequently can not guarantee that these will not be damaged by sticking to the glass or the inks running through any condensation between the pieces of glass

Our normal process for framing papyruses is to float them on a matt-board and then surround them with another one or two matt-boards and then inserting them into a frame unit

This particular customer accepted our recommendations and I know they will look quite stunning, but did I do the right thing in steering her away from the 2 pieces of glass approach?

Ross
prospero

Post by prospero »

I'm fairly sure that these things are done with artists acrylic paint. Good quality arcylic is more or less bulletproof once cured, so running should not be a problem. But some cheapo stuff can be soluble after drying. There is no way of telling without actually wetting the thing. Sticking to the glass could happen. Depends how thickly the paint is applied. I would think that sandwiching between glass sheets would be OK, but you never can tell. :( Visually it could be quite attractive if you used a minimal frame and concealed the hangings somehow. I have seen them done like this but never done thm this way myself.

Trouble is, they are generally so wavy that even if you float mounted one in a double mount it might still touch the glass. You would need to space the glass away at least 1/2" to be sure, which is abit OTT.

I have drimounted them in the past, using mounting film that is a bit smaller than the papyrus. Just so that the raggy edges aren't stuck. You only need a short time in the press if you pre-mount the film first with the backing paper still on the up side. One drawback with this is that if there are gaps in the weave the shiney film surface will shows though.

I have done quite a few in the past and usually hinge them onto a dark background with the edges showing and the glass straight on the top. Not what you would call conservation framing, but despite their precious appearance they are only tourist stuff and purely decorative.

Yer pays yer money, etc :wink:
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

I have had some really bad stuff which seemed to be painted with a tempera because they were quite powdery. I too attach them to mount board and allow the glass to keep them flat. I attach them with a thread if they are quality pieces or if they are bad and done on banana skin I use a drop of hotmelt glue. I have seen them floated between glass sheets but the transfer tape which holds them in place eventually shows through the fibres.
Alan
Bagel Framer

Post by Bagel Framer »

Ross,

I aksed a similar question last year in the "hints and tips" section, the link may help or confuse but see how you go:

http://www.theframersforum.com/viewtopi ... ht=papyrus

I've not yet done my papryrus (there's not enough hours in the day), but on the basis that the papyrus my Ma bought back from Cairo cost 50p I was gonna sandwich it between the two sheets of glass then partially frame it with a three sided frame.

Sean
prospero

Post by prospero »

Just this moment had a customer in with something that looks like a papyrus but isn't. The image is an Egyptian theme, (two faces), but the substrate looks more like wood bark than papyrus.

Anyone seen the like?
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

wanted them floated between two pieces of glass
I think that this is "how they come". I had a customer asking for the same thing once and on asking "Why?", was presented with a piece of paper, which had come from the papyrus shop, saying exactly that. I ended up float mounting as described - and yes - looked good!

Alan
fineedge

Post by fineedge »

Anyone seen the like?
I've seen a number of those - the subject matter tends to change on the bark - just an image of Horus or King Tut and no heiroglyphics - I suspect the bark is too absorbent or rough for the fine detail
Alan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:Just this moment had a customer in with something that looks like a papyrus but isn't. The image is an Egyptian theme, (two faces), but the substrate looks more like wood bark than papyrus.

Anyone seen the like?
All the time - the last one was brought in by a total geek - his bark was worse than his byte.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Roboframer wrote: his bark was worse than his byte.
heh,

we get these wood bark / banana leaf things in on a frequent basis, they are never square/ usually mounted down in some horrendous way *delete as applicable