Floating frames for Canvases

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
theprint.ninja
Organisation: The Print Ninja
Interests: I fly UAV's for arial photos, I spend my time printing high resolution canvasses and museum quality prints for private individuals and corporate clients alike

Floating frames for Canvases

Post by theprint.ninja »

Hi all

Although I have a lot of experience in printing and framing of canvases, we would like to include floating frames round the canvases as a premium product. I understand that this process is called a floating frame, but researching how to best do this, there seems to be a number of options, and Im unsure.

Our process is pine moulding, and then mitred (via Morso) and underpinned to create canvas frame (using Lion and DJ Simmons moulding).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to include a black, white and bare wood floating frame option, and best way of connecting the frame to the canvas .

Many thanks
prospero

Re: Floating frames for Canvases

Post by prospero »

All the major moulding suppliers do the "L" profile in a variety of finishes. Rose&Hollis do a good selection of plain wood examples.

They aren't a great favourite of mine . :roll: The biggest problem is that they depend on the canvas being dead square.

They can be a challenge to underpin. I've just done three and used one v-nail and two ordinary nails near the front.

The canvas can be fixed using offset brackets or simply screw though the 'shelf' section of the L and into the canvas. Best to do
this with a hole larger than the screw and with a big washer. This allows the canvas to move a little.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Warren@Lionpic
Organisation: www.lionpic.co.uk
Interests: Picture framing, mounting & laminating, picture hanging systems, framing workshop equipment

Post by Warren@Lionpic »

Lion have a range of 'tray frames' https://www.lionpic.co.uk/picture-frame ... ay-frames/
White - L2794
Black - L2793
Bare Wood - L2796

And offsets to fix the canvas to the moulding - https://www.lionpic.co.uk/r/25267/Canvas-Offsets
Warren @ Lion Picture Framing Supplies
www.lionpic.co.uk/picture-frame-moulding/
www.lionpic.co.uk
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I was about to say, better known as Tray frames, to save the confusion with float mounting?
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer