Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
jay_photo_art
Organisation: Jay Snively Photo Art
Interests: Nature, art, photography, botany, Scrabble

Attaching label to back of photo?

Post by jay_photo_art »

I am selling digital photographs and making the frame package as archival as practical.

The print itself is held such a way so that it is not attached to either to window mat or the mount board (the "platform mounting" method as seen here: https://www.theframersforum.com/viewtop ... f=6&t=8798)

The front of the print will be signed and numbered as is commonly done. On the back of the print I want to affix a label for additional info. I'm using Hahnemühle Fine Art 300 gsm photo paper.

Available are archival quality foil-backed, adhesive laser labels I've considered using. However, the product pages for these items say not to use on original artwork or photographs. My guess is those disclaimers are there because affixing anything to original artwork is not strictly "archival."

Two questions, please:

1. Does anyone have an opinion or reason why not to use the above mentioned laser labels other than their use may not be strictly archival?

2. Has anyone here used PVA adhesive on the back of fiber-based photo paper or similar paper?

Thank you!
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Attaching label to back of photo?

Post by Justintime »

It's up to you, as the artist, to present your work as you choose.
Any sort of adhesive used may discolour over time/react to a change and affect/damage the work.
I have never come across additional info labels used in this way, I have come across certificates of authenticity/paper and process type etc which can be either affixed to the backing board or stored inside the frame package.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I am apposed to any "stick-on" label to any art. I would suggest a rubber stamp with "fill in the blanks" for specific title and date info if you use the proper archival ink.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

Sticky labels on the back of artwork are an abomination. :evil:

However acid-free/archival/conservation grade the label is, it's the mere fact that it's attached that offends.

If the label had to be removed (mounting or whatever), that's a problem. Why create problems?

It's a 'do not throw stones at this sign' scenario. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Can't see the reason to stick something to the back of a photo, that if mounted and framed in the manner you have said, it will not be seen by anybody, just stick the label to the back of the frame or the mount package
:?
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You are selling your photos as signed and numbered prints. So the presence of the number would be indicting that they probably are from a limited edition and are a collectible item and then you are planning to stick a lable onto the back which is clearly produced on a laser printer, which would be just want you expect on something that is mass produced. Do you expect your discerning customers, who are looking to buy something both special and of value as a collectible item, to be impressed with. The purists will expect something with real class, I don't think that this label expresses much in regards to class, or perhaps good taste in how to indicate that your photos are really special.

Another point, which also needs to be considered is the fact that over the years, that which was originally new and looked new, will over time lose a bit of it's apparent newness, but will the visible area of the photo age slightly differently where the label has been fixed behind it. No one is suggesting that the labels are not made of a archival quality materials, but there is not a uniformity of the material all the way across the rear face of this photo. You don't know if this will cause any difference, or if this will be a problem and I don't know either, but if you were a trained conservator, you would not be taking any unnecessary chances. Excellence is not just an aspect of your marketing image, but it is also your whole state of mind towards your product.

Reputations for excellence come from customers discerning that the evidence of the finished product is one of no compromise.

I'm a bit puzzled by the reference to the use of PVA glue to the rear of the photo, as this is clearly not fully reversible and therefore fails one of the most important criteria for something being presented according to archival, or conservation standards.

Finally, how much class does a little sticky label imply? Not a lot! However a certificate of conformity, stating this this is an genuine original photographic print by yourself, speaks volumes. I think a much superior indication of class and of it's status as a collectible item, if I may say so1
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
jay_photo_art
Organisation: Jay Snively Photo Art
Interests: Nature, art, photography, botany, Scrabble

Post by jay_photo_art »

I appreciate all the thoughtful replies (especially Mark's) - you all have helped me make an informed decision. I'll include minimal information hand written on the back of the print and any extended information will be on the mount board.

As to the reason for including with a print information that no one would see - should the print ever be remounted, the information will stay with the print.

Thank you for your useful responses.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Wise move. Write it in pencil and not where the image area is if possible. :D

And don't press on too hard. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About