Underpinner Opinions

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Underpinner Opinions

Post by Not your average framer »

I would still go for a CS-88 and if you can, I would wait until a nice one comes along. Have you phoned around some of the smaller framing suppliers to see if they have one in stock? Might be worth phoning around to see what's available. Another thought would be Mark from Underpinner Spares.

Make it clear that you are looking for something with nice tight sliding bearings, not one that is past it's best.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Mr.Framey
Organisation: None
Interests: Picture Framing.

Post by Mr.Framey »

Right okay, I'll have a ring round on Monday and see if anyone knows where I can get hold of one. Really appreciate everyone's help, thank you.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

There are a few exceptions with some older underpinners, which can last almost indeffinately, but most people prefer newer machines. Euro underpinners are pretty much built to last forever and any wear on the manual euro in the pivoting top clamp arm does not actually matter, because you adjust the positioning of the top clamp, so that the clamp pad comes down flat against the frame mouldings to be joined.

The pneumatic Euro usually only develops problems when the hammer gets damaged, but it has been possible to either obtain replacements from one of the original euro reps, or get a replacement hammer produced by some small engineering company near you.

Another pretty much indistructable manual machine is the Pisturius manual underpinner, which does not much matter if the sleeve bearings either side of the pivoting top clamp arm wear and develop a little bit of movement, because again it is intended that the operator will adjust the position of the top clamp pad, to ensure that the pad comes down flat against the frame mouldings to be joined.

Such machines can be a worthwhile and realistic option for those who are seeking to start up on a very limited budget. Manual Pisturius underpinners can often be found for as little as £50. They are built like tanks and practically unbreackable. Older models of the morso and older less wanted mountcutters are sometimes realistic buys as well if in adequate and useable condition.

I got started using mainly older secondhand equipment, because I had little money to do otherwise, but I survived and built a viable business on that basis, as time went on I upgraded to newer, still mostly secondhand equipment to a very reasonable level of equipment at this time. I won't pretend that everything has been easy. In fact it has been anything but easy, However I am still here after about 15 years, so it has not been a waste of time.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer