Am I a bit unusual having a band saw in my workshop?

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Am I a bit unusual having a band saw in my workshop?

Post by Not your average framer »

I find my band saw extremely useful when making up unusual profiles by cutting and joining bits cut of from different moulding profile and then rejoining them to create completely different profiles. Does anyone else use a band saw in their framing workshop? There is certainly not a lot of evidence that this is the case. Was just wondering! Surely I am not the only forum member regularly using a band saw in his framing workshop.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Re: Am I a bit unusual haiving a band saw in my workshop?

Post by prospero »

I would have one if I had the space. Also a planer/thicknesser. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Am I a bit unusual haiving a band saw in my workshop?

That's on the list for me too! I'd like one of the combination planner thicknessers and joiner plane all in one. Their not all that expensive, so maybe one day I'll be able to get one.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Am I a bit unusual having a band saw in my workshop?

Post by Justintime »

I've recently been lent a bandsaw for my workshop.
I've found it really useful for customising/making spacers from offcuts.
I've managed to keep the dusty tools in a separate garden shed workshop.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We're very lucky because not only do we have a lot of "toys" (sorry, tools!) in our own workshop, plus a fully functioning woodworking workshop that my Dad has at his house that we regularly take advantage of using his pillar drills and bandsaw and the like. But we are also next door to a bespoke staircase manufacturer. They do us innumerable favours throughout the year running mouldings and lengths of wood through their spindle cutters, thicknesser and table saw. We've been able to make all sorts of unique construction pieces thanks to the variety of machines and tools we have available to us. It makes a huge difference.

Justin is right to mention the dust - we have a dedicated room for "dusty" work that we built a few years ago, it is also soundproofed. Keeping things separate saves time and effort.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I have a bandsaw also a table router, belt sander and CNC as well as the a mitre saw, Keencut 5000, underpinner and mount cutter. You just can’t have enough kit.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer

Too right. You not only can't have enough kit, but some of my kit, I am even thinking of replacing with better kit. It's only after you have had your original kit that you realise some of the limitations that you did not realise when you first bought it.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I have a bandsaw. I use it for framing, but probably use my tablesaw and planer thicknesser more to be fair.

I have a full joinery workshop, so my table saw is a great big cast iron panel saw, so has very accurate fence etc. I guess. I tend to use my bandsaw for ripping timber so keep a 1 inch blade on normally.

Obviously, i a lucky that doing joinery as well means i have access to serious toys (i mean machines), but i do use both the morso and sometimes underpinner for joinery jobs.

The big machines just can't be compared to cheaper models in terms of accuracy and speed to do things, but some smaller kit is perfect for some jobs.

Btw (sorry soapbox moment) even if using good dust extraction (i have a industrial rated extraction system), please try to remember to wear some form of face mask.

The number of woodworkers in 60's plus who have retired due to COPD is frightening. I have a proper respirator, but it is a pain, so i didn't bother much, but now keep this around my neck:

They are handy and i remember to use it even when sanding. Also, it can look like you are wearing a cravate in case a discerning customer comes in!

Cheers Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Also, i do have a spindle moulder so if anyone gets stuck trying to match a moulding, i may be able to run off some if needed. I know trying to get small amounts done is hard.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.