Second attempt at hand finishing a frame...

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Orde02
Organisation: Northwood Framing
Interests: Painting, flying, cycling

Second attempt at hand finishing a frame...

Post by Orde02 »

...and I'm much happier with this one. I waxed and polished this one using the great advice I've been kindly given on here.
(Don't worry, I'm not going to post EVERY frame I finish... :lol: )

Kindest regards

Matt
prospero

Re: Second attempt at hand finishing a frame...

Post by prospero »

Looks good. :D

You could get a sander on the mitres (before finishing) to blend them in. And maybe radius the corners. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Orde02

Post by Orde02 »

Hello Prospero.

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely sand the next one a bit, I didn't do any sanding on this one at all.
What do you mean by radius the corners? Do you mean the outside corner? Round them off a little?

Regards

Matt
prospero

Post by prospero »

:wink: Just knock the sharp corners off.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You are getting there. The slight gars in the corners may suggest a very slight tweak to the left hand side Morso fence, but sometimes it may be just the moulding being slightly bowed. Having said that, it is possible to fill and sand down the slight gap at the corner to lose visability of the line at the corner through the finish. As time goes on you will get that one sorted as well and with practice you will get to using the filling medium and technique that best suits you. All in all, everything is looking positive and you are making good progress. The difference between what you have achieved so far and the superb standard shown in the original picture of what you wanted to emulate is much less than you probably realise. The improvements which you can make to match the original standard that you are aiming to copy are well within your grasp and you are really demonstrating that you are getting there.

Getting a good filling technique, involved a certain amount of experimenting for me when I first started and I you feel necessary, a little bit of experimenting may also be something that you want to try as well. Not everyone will do things exactly the same way, so don't think that there is any particular method that is right, or wrong. For myself, I like a filler that sets quite hard, because it seems to me to sand down very smoothly, but you can be sure that plenty of others will think differently, so you just have to see what works best for you. The other thing is that you will get an eye and a feel for what works as you practice. In time you will develop you own technique and way that you do things. I don't think that very many of us that do hand finishing are likely to be doing things the same way and our finished frames will all to some degree have that quality of being unique and not quite the same as each other.

Stay with it, you've come a long way quite quickly.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

As prospero said " sand the mitres to blend them in" and try a small amount of wood glue in the open mitre to mix with the saw dust as you sand.

As for "not going to post EVERY frame you finish" I say, "keep them coming" :clap:

Peter.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Yes, keep them coming. When you are new to what you are doing and making progress with each attempt, you are a superb encouragement to offers, who perhaps are holding back from giving hand finishing a try for themselves. A lot of us, who already are hand finishing are also encouraged to see you progress too.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Orde02

Post by Orde02 »

Hey chaps, thanks for all the great advice, It's really appreciated. I didn't join this frame, I don't have the ability to do that yet. I bought 4 from a local framer, joined but unfinished. The first one isn't great at all, happier with the second and I'm about to start numbers 3 and 4. I'll spend more time prepping the next two including sanding and filling. I'll post photos too when I'm done and happily take on board all comments and advice.

Thanks again.

Matt
prospero

Post by prospero »

Must admit, I didn't spot any gaps and still can't. :roll:

What shouts a bit is the different relative heights of corners. I've done a lot of joining flat mouldings and I find it is virtually
impossible to join them flush. That slight ridge should be removed as not all the corners will show the same. Fortunately, on a
flat moulding it's easy enough to run a palm sander over to level it out. :D Can't do that on finished moulding. :P

Having said that, only a framer would notice. :lol:
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

When joining flat mouldings I rely on my finger tips as much as my eyes :giggle:

I am having great success with a flat black moulding at the moment so-much-so I don't need to use a black marker pen for the edges. :D

Peter.
Not your average framer

I did not spot any gaps either, but I could see a little sag in the filler. The original frame was needing to copy was of a very high standard and the corners had no discernable join line whatsoever. I think that's was the standard the original poster was looking for.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer