Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Lars
Organisation: Van Uffelen Gallery & Framing LTD
Interests: Picture Framing

Flatbed Applicator Table or Upright Cold Laminator

Post by Lars »

Placing aside the issue of cost, space and adhesive material types. Which of the two options would provide the flattest most micro bubble free application time and time again to mount photos and prints which are non tolerant to heat onto ACM and Foamboard using a quality Cold Mount Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.

Flatbed Applicator Table or Upright Cold Laminator?
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Re: Flatbed Applicator Table or Upright Cold Laminator

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Laminator - you're going to have trouble applying a selfwound adhesive on an application table (unless there is a trick that I've missed), as I believe they are designed for laying down self adhesive materials to substrate (mainly Vinyls, cut or printed). And as you'll be working at the nip, the best chance of getting to dust spotlets, before they meet the adhesive, or worse, the print.

But, as you have no constraints on cost or space, go for both, but upgrade the laminator to one with a heated top roller, so, should you choose to laminate the images, you can be silvering-free from the get go. The Applicator table gives you other working options, not least of which is the underlit table (don't be greedy, nothing much bigger than 10x5), which I crave for precisely aligning prints onto ACM or Aluminium. Strangely, the leading brand is called Rolls-Roller, though I hear excellent things about Mounter's Mate tables and laminators.
Lars
Organisation: Van Uffelen Gallery & Framing LTD
Interests: Picture Framing

Post by Lars »

Thanks Richard,

The feedback is appreciated.
We are use a twin release type of cold adhesive (Lions 6980) which allows us to a remove small section of release paper and then carefully align the adhesive before rolling this out whilst removing the remaining release paper. I have never been a fan of single sided as the exposed sticky side runs the risk of attracting dust and grit.
I am currently waiting on three suppliers to source some further information as to the quality of finish that can be obtained (suitable for our industry, not signage) from both types of machines.
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

Lars, I'm not aware of application tables being used outside of the sign making trade. Every example I've seen has been the "slit the backing paper, then roll from centre" style of working, that is well suited to self adhesive vinyls, or laminates viewed from a distance.
I swing between the self wound adhesive rolls for materials such as Kapa Mount and Forex, and dual release, face mount adhesives for aluminium and Dibond. Once the first foot of adhesive has gone into the laminator (on sacraficial leader boards), there is no difference in dust dirt ingress, between a single or double faced material. The lazy advantage of a laminator, is that the material comes to you (to carefully sweep with a tac cloth), rather than you having to walk the length of the table, preceding the app table gantry.

But, I'd still love a large underlit glass cutting table, with a clear anti-static cutting mat. I'd walk many more miles per day for that.