Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

octagonal frame

Post by GeoSpectrum »

October was a a month of ‘firsts’ for me. Here’s one, my first octagonal frame. I do need to figure out the joining method, this was glued, clamped and cross pinned. I think biscuit joints would be better, particularly on a larger frame. Two coats of black gesso with a good sanding, black acrylic spray and a dark paste wax to finish. I’ll add a bit of gold bling next time. That’s an mdf liner cut on a CNC.
FCFB406A-A206-4029-B2A6-EFD26479606D.jpeg
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: octagonal frame

Post by Not your average framer »

That's very interesting. Eight mitres around the circumference of this frame demands quite considerable accuracy for the cutting angle of each mitre joint. I must admit to being very interested in how you achieved such accuracy. Even an error of one degree distrubuted between all eight of those mitres would have shown a noticable error somewhere. One degree divided by eight means a cutting error of 7.5 minutes of arc, but that has a better degree of cutting accuracy than that. I am interested to know how you managed to achieved that.

I'm a ex-engineer and I know how these things have to be to achieve such accuracy and I'm seriously impressed. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This hand finishing is top class too. I like this very much. Superlative work in every way. Lovey job! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Cut on my mitre saw, and clamped up good and tight. There were a couple of very small gaps that needed some filler. Two coats of gesso. Acrylic spray. I’ve since waxed it which has improved the finish. Don’t over think it, it’s pretty straightforward, mainly sanding.
472D13E6-2DBE-4451-B66B-9D38843B57BC.jpeg
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

When I purchased my very first Morso (£150) I made a few octagonal frames from a scooped pine moulding, as pine was all the go back in the mid 70's thanks to Habitat and Mr Conran :giggle: I even managed to sell a couple as framed mirrors. I found the moulding easy to join with a home made tourniquet type clamp and then backed with hardboard. I have not made one since.

Compared with my effort yours really look the business :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Really love the finish.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Excellent Job Alan. :D :yes:

I made two oct mirror frames back in the day when wallpaper moulding ruled the earth. :lol:

On a Morso it was a fiddly task and they ended up quite a lot smaller than they were intended to be. :|
Fortunately I ordered the mirrors after the frames were done. :lol:

Haven't made one since. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About