prospero

Re: Collapse

Post by prospero »

Ohdear.jpg
Ohdear.jpg (19.85 KiB) Viewed 9271 times
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Didn't that happen before? :sweating:
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Maybe switch to Polcore, Ricky....it's lighter than oak!

Hope you get it sorted mate - and that there's not much damage done.
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

I had a very similar collapse 2 or 3 years ago, surprisingly the amount of moulding damage was minimal but the worst part of the whole thing was having to empty the racks completely so I could re-attach the brackets to the wall more securely.
Good luck
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Stating the obvious.
I see that the vertical brackets are only single vs double weight uprights. You need to use commercial weight uprights vs the consumer grade.

A second note, hammer each shelf bracket into position so that each finger of the bracket is set securely into the uprights.

Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

StevenG wrote: Sat 02 Nov, 2019 1:36 pm Didn't that happen before? :sweating:
I was thinking that :? well at lest no one was hurt
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I had something similar happen to me a long time ago. The difficulty was cause mostly by the age of the walls in my previous shop, which like my present shop has cob walls. My present shop is from the era of Queen Elizabeth the first and even has the original wood beams in the outside wall clearly visiable under the stairs.

During the time of the English civil war there even was a battle in and around the town between the Roundheads and Caviliers. Some of those who fought in the Monmouth Rebelion came from many of the towns in the counties around here. Local towns fought each other having alegencies to different sides. The local battle was called "The battle of Bovey Heath".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bovey_Heath

Drilling holes in walls around here, is a bit of a risky business, if you are expecting anything to stay secure, or support any weight. A very large part of the main street in Bovey Tracey goes back to the same era and things like damp proof courses are largely non-existent in the older parts of the town.

With a lot of the framing we have to do, it is wise to anticipate the possibility of frames being hung on damp outside walls. I'm not much inclined to agree to hanging pictures on the walls of the old buildings around here, for obvious reasons. I am trying to avoid fixing my moulding racks to the walls at all in my present premises. As they say "once bitten, twice shy".
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Steve N wrote: Sun 03 Nov, 2019 4:49 pm I was thinking that :? well at lest no one was hurt

How will we know, until Ricky has got to the bottom of the landslide! :D
Ricky
Organisation: Barnard Castle Framers.
Interests: Art, Photography,Ceramics,
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

Thanks for your input guys I guess my old walls are just not up to it, this is the second time this has happened
so it looks this is my only alternative not cheap though :(
1571297159-00944600.jpg
1571297159-00944600.jpg (4.65 KiB) Viewed 9057 times
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Like me. you look short on space,Ricky(I guess all framers are :lol: ). The shelving in the picture looks like it'd eat up valuable space (and cash).

How about fixing floor-to-ceiling wood battens (say every meter) to the walls, then fixing shelf brackets to those?

Not only could you put plenty of fixings in the vertical battens (and also glue it with No More Nails, if you like), but if the battens are touching the floor, that'd also help take the weight.

Wickes have (metric) 3 x 2 inch battening* for about £2.75 for a 2.4 metre length....so it all shouldn't cost much.

GL mate, whatever you do. :)

Paul

* It's nice stuff to work with....very smooth and has rounded edges (not like the rough-sawn stuff of back in the day)
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I learnt my lesson a long time ago and now all of my moulding racks store the moulding in an upright position, so that the weight of the moulding is bearing against the floor. It does have it's down side however, which is if you ceilings are not high enough. My shop premises are unfortunately in a very old building and unfortunately I sometimes need to cut some really long mouldings down a little bit to be able to get them to stand up.

I used to worry that this would be a real big problem, but the reality is that it has not increased my wastage by any noticeable amount. Sometimes the difference between cutting off just enough to clear the ceiling and cutting off enough to make the off cut usable is not much different, so I make it bigger and if I've just ordered 100ft of one of my normal stock mouldings, then I will often use the waste for a couple of ready made frames.

The biggest benefit that I have found to storing the mouldings in a vertical position is the ease to sorting through them and extracting the wanted moulding from within the rack. These days my moulding racks are not fitted in place, but just lean by against the walls and this works just fine. I also have two glass storage racks that also lean back against the walls.

My rack which contain my 2mm float glass stand behind my System 4000 cutter, with the glass a little higher that the track where you slid the glass into the machine. This makes life a lot easier and also in my opinion a lot safer as well. Added to this, my shop has limited space and the legs on the System 4000 need to stand away from the wall for stability, so the space behind the System 4000 has to be there and this is an ideal way of using the space.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

C'mon, Ricky...we want the 'after' pictures!

How did you get on,mate.....and did you find Shergar under that lot?!

:D
Ricky
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

[attachment=0]97EC31EE-AD77-4CFD-BCB6-AF8F3255B1D4.jpeg[/attachment
All sorted now, I checked prices on internet for cantilever bays, l l I couldn’t believe the prices they were asking anywhere between 500 to 800 quid so got a local welder to knock these up £160 😀Well pleased.
Attachments
97EC31EE-AD77-4CFD-BCB6-AF8F3255B1D4.jpeg
062967C0-CBEF-4449-9DD6-0A4EDC4F5C15.jpeg
6FEA37CD-4386-49E0-BC72-EAC50CE4A4AC.jpeg
5683F8ED-89FB-4452-AA88-647ACCC3D649.jpeg
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

They look great!!!! Nice solution indeed :clap: :)
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Nice one Ricky :D but it's not a good idea to store moulding out side the shop as peeps can't see in the window :?

Peter.
Ricky
Restoration.Horses.

Post by Ricky »

:lol: :lol: :lol: